• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identifing a percussion Italian rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My cuz in California is 80 years old and wants some information on shooting this rifle. He took this crummy photo, has never shot black powder, and my knowledge of factory guns is limited. This stamped ID on the barrel does not help me. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3406 2.jpg
IMG_3406.jpg

Larry

@Larry (Omaha) Hi, hard to define the rifle from that pic but looking at what we have on the barrel flat marked Lancaster it appears to have partial detail of what I am guessing is an address for Dixie Gunworks in Tennessee. Others will be better positioned to comment, any chance of an over all pic of the rifle ?

Well I have one and am still not sure how much help I can be. They were marketed as a Dixie Lancaster rifle, .45 caliber and available in flint or percussion. Made in Italy but I never determined the actual maker. Mine was flint but I honestly never shot it much because the lock was a very poor sparker. Years later I put a percussion lock on it but I had so many other guns by that time that I just didn't shoot it much. Dixie recommended a .445 ball, but that was too tight in mine so I went with a .440. Rifling was very shallow, and no crown on the barrel. What shooting I did didn't give great groups, but ignition was so unreliable I probably never really dialed it in. I still have it, I should get it out and fool with it.

Well I have one and am still not sure how much help I can be. They were marketed as a Dixie Lancaster rifle, .45 caliber and available in flint or percussion. Made in Italy but I never determined the actual maker. Mine was flint but I honestly never shot it much because the lock was a very poor sparker. Years later I put a percussion lock on it but I had so many other guns by that time that I just didn't shoot it much. Dixie recommended a .445 ball, but that was too tight in mine so I went with a .440. Rifling was very shallow, and no crown on the barrel. What shooting I did didn't give great groups, but ignition was so unreliable I probably never really dialed it in. I still have it, I should get it out and fool with it.
Thanks, that is a big help! I thought it might be a Dixie, but couldn't prove it. Cousin is suppose to send me another photo. Could you tell me what the recommended powder charge is, and what you used for patching thickness?
Larry

Wow, really testing the old memory, I believe this was in the late 1970's, or early 1980's! Just starting out I was probably using some kind of over the counter Thompson Center patches but can't be too sure about that. If I was to get it out today would probably try around 50 grains of 3f to start with.

Wow, really testing the old memory, I believe this was in the late 1970's, or early 1980's! Just starting out I was probably using some kind of over the counter Thompson Center patches but can't be too sure about that. If I was to get it out today would probably try around 50 grains of 3f to start with.
Thanks, That is what I was thinking. I could do it better if the gun was in front of me, but my cousin lives 1100 miles away.
One more question: Do you know if the breech is a patent or a flat breech?
Larry

Thanks, That is what I was thinking. I could do it better if the gun was in front of me, but my cousin lives 1100 miles away.
One more question: Do you know if the breech is a patent or a flat breech?
Larry
Well mine was a flintlock, and just a drilled hole in the barrel, no liner and a flat breech.

Back