• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help ID Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have owned this pistol for several years. It has a swamped barrel 11 inches long. About .50cal smooth. Lots of inlay, engraving on bbl. I will try pics again, keep loosing them.

DSC03101.jpg

DSC03105.jpg

Made in the eastern Mediterranean area. Could be North African or one of the Arabic countries.

did you get this from a vet returning from Afghanistan? it seriously looks like Khyber junk.

Without seeing up in person it is hard to tell. The frizzen spring looks either German or English

It has a flat Germanic style lock plate.

The crudess of the trigger looks banged out over a campfire. The afghan black smiths are making a fortune making rustic looking "antiques" for GI's.

The thin decorative banding that has been fastened over the cracks, is typical of Persian style guns since the 1600's.

Need more pictures.

BTW, making such guns is not a new practice. Such guns have been made for sale to tourists for 100 years. Thay have also been banging out copies of cartridge guns made out of parts and pieces of pot metal. one notable copy of a Martini Henry was a dead give away when the smith mispelled "Enfield" as "Enfleid"

Khyber Pass guns generally have bad looking triggers and trigger guards, and sometimes reuse authentic parts like locks.

Also, don't forget the Mauser spelled "Wauser" and the Enfield spelled with a Russian "i" instead of a Latin "N."

Latest posts

Back