• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Id an early 1800s english smoothbore shortstock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank8888

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, looking for help finding more info on this old caplock smoothbore muzzleloader that's about 20 gauge (its the size of wads that fit in...).
1st picture, under the barrel, close to the nipple, from the proof marks, I understand it might have been proofed in 1815-1855 (BPC and V mark only). What does the 21 mean?
2nd picture, just an inch or two from picture 1, it looks like something was stamped there, but can barely be read, looks like it ends in "R" or "K".... any idea of what it was?
3rd picture, I can barely see it, at first I thought it was scratches, but on the rail under the barrel, close to where the ramrod holder was (looks like its been pulled a while ago!) there seems to be maybe I.C stamped, or something like that. My first thought would be improved cylinder, but i'm not sure. Anybody ever seen this before and could confirm or not?
Last picture shows its a halfstock smoothbore with a barrel half octogonal, half round.

Any help would be appreciated having info on the whats and wheres of that old muzzleloader.

1610167816454.png
1610167861127.png
1610167898156.png
1610168157096.png

Hi,
You have a nice English fowler probably made after 1850 or so. The barrel has Birmingham proof marks and is 21 gauge. It also looks to be a stub twist barrel (not Damascus), which were made from skelps hammered out using old horse shoe nails (stubs). The name is likely the barrel maker but I cannot read any details from your photos. Hopefully, Feltwad, a member on this site will see the post and chime in. He is an expert on these English guns.

dave

Thanks Dave, how are you able to tell its from after 1850? Here is where I found my info about the approx. dates :

Hi,
You have a nice English fowler probably made after 1850 or so. The barrel has Birmingham proof marks and is 21 gauge. It also looks to be a stub twist barrel (not Damascus), which were made from skelps hammered out using old horse shoe nails (stubs). The name is likely the barrel maker but I cannot read any details from your photos. Hopefully, Feltwad, a member on this site will see the post and chime in. He is an expert on these English guns.

dave
Thanks, I'm adding some pictures to see better, but the marks are well worn off.

Here are some pictures with a slightly better view, and I added the end of the barrel that has some decorating work on it if it helps...
1610207092942.png
1610207116832.png
1610207158917.png

Hi,
The style of the back action lock, the trigger guard, the the design of the percussion breech all indicate mid 19th century. I still cannot read any of the letters in the stamped name. You need to photograph it under neutral daylight no flash or artificial light to cause glare. The front sight is fascinating. It looks like silver wire inlet into the barrel or is it just some sort of paint?

dave

Last edited:
Back