• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help From Upstate New Yorkers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mockingbird

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good Day,

I am looking for some advice from some of the folks from the Upstate New York area. My Wife, Son and I will be traveling that area this coming June (21st -28th). My son is very much into Colonial and AWI history. We are already planning to spend a day at Saratoga, one at Fort William Henry and two days at Fort Ticonderoga. I would love to hear opinions, suggestions, things that I shouldn't miss, places to eat (would love to find a historic tavern that serves historic fare) places to stay &tc. I have looked online at a few things but I know that no website is even close to being a substitute for local knowledge and experience. :thumb:

Cross the lake from Fort Ti via the cable ferry and visit Mount Independence in VT. There isn’t much there but it gives you a different perspective of Fort Ti. If you’ve got time, drive to the Hubbardton battlefield while you are on the good side of the lake. You can also walk up to the top of Mount Defiance and look down into the fort just as the Brits did.

Be sure to plan a short visit to Rogers Island in Fort Edward, NY. You will be close by if you are going to Fort William Henry. This is where Rogers and the Rangers worked out of. It is an on-going archeological dig during the summer. There is a small museum and often encampments.

Also, Crown Point is north of Ticonderoga and worth a visit. Mostly ruins at this point, but worth a look.

Enjoy!

ADK Bigfoot

Don't miss:

Chimney Point
The Chimney Point State Historic Site was established in 1991 as a museum on property purchased by the State of Vermont in 1966 from Mary Barnes. Located on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain at the foot of the Lake Champlain Bridge, Chimney Point explores the history of the area’s three earliest cultures—the Native American, French Colonial, and early American by showcasing the artifacts each left behind. Enjoy the sweeping porch of the c. 1785 tavern with beautiful views of the lake, seasonal and permanent exhibits, programs for school groups, and a variety of interactive events including the annual Northeast Open Atlatl Championship. The grounds of Chimney Point include a picnic area near the lake, a dock for lake access, and outdoor interpretive signs along a path connected by the sidewalks across the Lake Champlain Bridge to paths at Crown Point, New York.

Recent archaeological and historic research has confirmed Chimney Point is one of the most strategic and historically significant locations on Lake Champlain. It has seen every period of human habitation, since the first people arrived nearly 9,000 years ago. Visitors can imagine the millennia of Native Americans fishing, hunting, camping, meeting, and trading here on the bluff or sandy beach. After the first Europeans came in 1609, this site was important for interactions between the Native peoples and Europeans. In 1690, the English watched for the French enemies navigating Lake Champlain. The French took a stand here in 1731, building a fort to keep the English off the lake and blocking easy access to Canada. This was the frontier of New France and the start of long-term French settlement in the region. The site also saw significant military activity during the French and Indian War and American Revolution. Following the Revolution, in c. 1785, the tavern was built and has welcomed visitors ever since.

And if you get up to Burlington check out Ethan Allen's Home
www.ethanallenhomestead.org/

Last edited:
While not related to the Revolutionary War period and depending on your direction of travel, a visit to Letchworth State Park might provide a very interesting side trip.

Its a little amusing to read of the excitement in coming here when many of the folks who live here can't wait to get out. There is a large cultural divide between city dwellers and Upstate. Many areas have a large population of pigeons and I keep trying to get the State to erect statues of Andrew Cuomo ...

Its a little amusing to read of the excitement in coming here when many of the folks who live here can't wait to get out. There is a large cultural divide between city dwellers and Upstate. Many areas have a large population of pigeons and I keep trying to get the State to erect statues of Andrew Cuomo ...

Tom I have heard that a lot. Our excitement comes from the fact that we love that place and period in history and we live in Texas, so far removed from it all. Thus, when we get to travel to New England we get really excited (because of course we are just visiting and not dealing with the politics on a daily basis). I spent 7 years of my childhood in Bedford Mass (Hanscom AFB to be exact) and I do very much miss New England. Would move to NH in a second if I could find a job in my field up there. But alas not much demand for video game art directors in NH that I have found.

Everyone, Thanks so much for all the suggestions I have added a few of your ideas to the list because they fit really well into our schedule. Still looking for any suggestions on places to eat or stay that folks might have.

Some of the history in my area Butts Corner NY
20210910_121833_resized(1).jpg
20210910_115119_resized(1).jpg
20210910_121655_resized(1).jpg

And a bit more southern New York, Long Island's East Setauket was the major encampment for the British because of its deep harbor, and the home of the colonial spy ring, not to mention the battles on western long Island

Tom I have heard that a lot. Our excitement comes from the fact that we love that place and period in history and we live in Texas, so far removed from it all. Thus, when we get to travel to New England we get really excited (because of course we are just visiting and not dealing with the politics on a daily basis). I spent 7 years of my childhood in Bedford Mass (Hanscom AFB to be exact) and I do very much miss New England. Would move to NH in a second if I could find a job in my field up there. But alas not much demand for video game art directors in NH that I have found.

Everyone, Thanks so much for all the suggestions I have added a few of your ideas to the list because they fit really well into our schedule. Still looking for any suggestions on places to eat or stay that folks might have.
Be sure to visit the Saratoga Monument near the battlefield. Built by locals years after the Battle. There’s a great Black Powedr Club on Duell Road. Olde Saratoga Muzzleloaders Club. Check out their website and see if any events will be going on during your visit.

Back