• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help from Flintlock hunting experts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I can't thank you enough. That was an incredible tip. I have an update for the forum: The search is over. I looked at your links and I loved the Virginia rifle so I looked up the artist, and what a stroke of luck! Gary Ford lives only 20 minute away from me in Gainesville, VA. I called him and setup time to go over today and had the most pleasant experience handling many of the awesome rifles he made. After a couple of hours, I walked out with the rifle. He made absolutely sure he gave me everything I needed to get started. I can't begin to describe his talent and his kindness and his passion for making sure everything is right. So now I am the proud owner of this beautiful .54 cal VA rifle. I can't wait to take it out and shoot it!
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMCPfOhvZEbMCGSR6w70zw0g93ihXJFnGUGRus9

Thank you for convincing me not to go the cheap route and to everyone on this forum for their incredible knowledge!

Moe

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this one below. I have not figured out why the "attach photo" does not work for me.

20180829_225011.jpg

Link

Moe66va said:
Thank you for convincing me not to go the cheap route and to everyone on this forum for their incredible knowledge!
Moe - That’s awesome! VERY happy for you and I love the wood!

Just let me be the 1st to caution you ... that it will NOT be your last flintlock! I see a flint smoothie in your future ...

Just let me be the 1st to caution you ... that it will NOT be your last flintlock! I see a flint smoothie in your future ...

Why did you have to say that? Now you planted another bug in my head. How hard do you want to make my hunting people? I already have enough of a hard time killing deer in VA with all the possible technology I have at my hands (scopes, break open action, range finders, etc.)

I saw a smoothie that looked incredible and easily weighed no more than 6 lbs if even. It was more balanced than a ballerina and felt incredible in my hands. Gary swore that it shot 1" groups at 30 yards and I was so tempted. Just never shot a smooth bore rifle before so I was worried I was going to suck at it. If this works out this year, and I get a deer with the VA rife, I may consider getting a smooth bore Fusil de Chasse . They look amazing and I bet they handle like a dream!

Stop trying to make this my next project. I know myself and it does not take much temptation! :grin:

Fine looking rifle. I really like the curl in the wood. However, it looks to me like the front sight is on backward. Has the rifle been sighted in?

Have not sighted it in yet. Good catch on the front site. He installed a thicker front site for me so seems like he put it on backwards. He won't mind adjusting that at all. He repeatedly offered any adjustments I needed anytime. He is also capping the ramrod with a brass piece for me so I will have him adjust when I pick up the upgraded ramrod.

@Moe66va:
Good for you!Very nice rifle :)) And when you first handled those rifles, I bet you felt the difference between what you handled before immediately.
If you are not familiar with cleaning a flintlock, go back to the builder and ask him to show you.
You don't have to do much to maintain a flintlock, but you need to do it right in one of the right ways.
Now, depending on your planned way of hunting, you should get the stuff together for hunting you plan to carry and also train with the rifle the way you intend to hunt. Another point is a hardcase or one of those thick cloth longrifle sleeves. Goes well onto the backseat of your truck. Easy slide in, easy slide out...

No question the rifle handles much better than factory productions. It felt great. As for cleaning and supplies, I owned a .50 cal flintlock before and I am familiar with the cleaning process. All I need to get is some .530 balls and .015 patches. I have plenty of 4F and 3F powder and now I have a .54 cal cleaning jag too.

A lot has been said about wooden rammers. A lot of that has been sensationalized.

The problems with wooden ramrods really comes down to inappropriate use of equipment. The safe capabilities are exceeded. This really comes down to 2 factors.

The first factor is improper loading method. A Muzzleloading rifle is not loaded like is shown in Warner Brothers cartoons. You don't load one like pumping up a bicycle tire or plunging a toilet. You chocke up on a wooden rod. A bout 2 palms widths is as far from the muzzle as you need to go. You never need to take a long stroke with a wooden rod, even during cleaning.

The other factor and this comes from match shooting.... the super tight load. A rifle is loaded so tightly the safe limits of the rammer are exceeded. A good example is sighting in with a steel range rod.... super tight and expecting the wooden rod to do that in the field.

What you take in the field is what you practice with. The range rod is a good tool but it's there for emergencies.
Since Range Rods are heavy and nearly unbreakable using these exclusively can reenforce bad habits.

The hunting load should be consistent and accurate but also easy to load. If you hunt with a rifle you practice with how it's going to be carried in the field.

For hunting, don't forget shooting positions. Once you know the rifle is accurate, practice in different positions like you find in the field. Off hand, from a prop like a tree, on one knee and even prone.

The problems with wooden ramrods really comes down to inappropriate use

Inappropriate use is certainly a contributory factor to injuries with wood rods. But there are many more. e.g. a faulty rod to start with, inexperience, fouled barrel, etc., etc.

My practice, FWIW, is when going from range to field I switch to a smaller ball and frequently a thinner patch. Loss of accuracy is minimal, still well within 'minute of deer'. And, if a ball gets stuck, I head back to the range or truck. I don't/won't mess around using a wood rod that can seriously injure me. I would rather lose the match, or deer, and be able to come back another day.

I most usually have a spare rifle on my hunts (kept locked/concealed with "junk") in the truck. Only needed it once, two years ago when my favoritist CVA developed a 55lb trigger pull during a hunt.

Very wise. :hatsoff:
You bring up an excellent point. The ball get stuck ( stuff happens). You know it's beyond the capability of your equipment. So you stop and get the right equipment. This is very wise and disciplined.

To avoid this.... you learn by feel. As said though, "stuff happens", By knowing the feel.... you can tell if you are close or have exceeded the comfort zone of your equipment.

Back