• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help for old eyes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a large black, adhesive backed, stationary dot with a small hole drilled in it, on a pair of glasses, for 15 years since laser surgery to correct my eye sight. I tried an aperture type with a suction cup, but it was worthless as making the hole as small as possible was still too large. But now have a lot of trouble holding the rifle study. Looked at the Eye Pal web site and am concerned that they do not show the device only the case it comes in and no details on how or if it is attached to glasses?

Attached is a historic solution.

Doc S.

Attachments

• Shooters glasses Tee Museum, Noorden, Germany.jpg
    Shooters glasses Tee Museum, Noorden, Germany.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 88
I have been using a large black, adhesive backed, stationary dot with a small hole drilled in it, on a pair of glasses, for 15 years since laser surgery to correct my eye sight. I tried an aperture type with a suction cup, but it was worthless as making the hole as small as possible was still too large. But now have a lot of trouble holding the rifle study. Looked at the Eye Pal web site and am concerned that they do not show the device only the case it comes in and no details on how or if it is attached to glasses?

Attached is a historic solution.

Doc S.

Belleville, the eyepal has a is what I would call tacky (not sticky) if that makes sense. Put it on the glasses, if not in the right place, peel it off and move it a little, try again.

For the record it did not help me all that much, for a non-traditional gun a peep sight/soule type sight is much better YMMV

The most improvement in shooting for me was a cataract operation. I was extremely near-sighted for most of my life, like 20/400. The cataract surgery replaced the nature-provided lenses with some sort of clear plastic material, and improved my vision to 20/15 R, 20/20 L. I DO need to use reading glasses to read, and have a custom-ground pair of glasses for gunsmith work - these focus at 18", and are wonderful.
With the new lenses installed, I was surprised to see individual leaves on trees at several hundred yards, and brick mortar lines at 150-200 yards.
I am quite able to focus on the front sight while keeping the rear sight and the target visible but a tad fuzzy, as I had been taught when but a lad.

Folks

I have reviewed The Forum rules...,

While The Forum is for traditional muzzleloaders, there is NO restriction on the optical aids one uses to aim said traditional muzzleloaders.
Granted, it seems to some of us rather incongruous to use something other than open iron sights or an iron peep sight..., and I salute those who have been able to mitigate their situation to continue to use open iron or iron peep sights..

I confess that I am blessed with long vision that even at almost 60 years of age, I am blessed with still being able to use open, iron sights.

Be that as it may... there is no restriction against discussion of modern telescopic sights on traditional muzzleloaders

For hunting, we have a duty (imho) to ensure that we are sufficiently accurate to place the shot to cause a swift, humane ending to the animal. If one needs a modern optic to do this, so be it.

I would suggest for those who cannot find a mitigation technique for their traditional sights, to consider a 2X pistol scope, mounted sufficiently forward of the breech on the barrel, to eliminate paralax. A properly drilled and tapped barrel will accept a scope mount, and when the owner wishes, it may be removed and the holes filled with flat screws.

LD

Folks

I have reviewed The Forum rules...,

While The Forum is for traditional muzzleloaders, there is NO restriction on the optical aids one uses to aim said traditional muzzleloaders.
Granted, it seems to some of us rather incongruous to use something other than open iron sights or an iron peep sight..., and I salute those who have been able to mitigate their situation to continue to use open iron or iron peep sights..

I confess that I am blessed with long vision that even at almost 60 years of age, I am blessed with still being able to use open, iron sights.

Be that as it may... there is no restriction against discussion of modern telescopic sights on traditional muzzleloaders

For hunting, we have a duty (imho) to ensure that we are sufficiently accurate to place the shot to cause a swift, humane ending to the animal. If one needs a modern optic to do this, so be it.

I would suggest for those who cannot find a mitigation technique for their traditional sights, to consider a 2X pistol scope, mounted sufficiently forward of the breech on the barrel, to eliminate paralax. A properly drilled and tapped barrel will accept a scope mount, and when the owner wishes, it may be removed and the holes filled with flat screws.

LD
agreed with respect to dispatching an animal. i never take a shot without being sure i can make the shot with said acurracy.

Does anyone use any special glasses for old eyes and if so what are they and do they work?
I had a pair made years ago. I was finding it hard to get the front sight into sharp focus; my bifocals were great for anything beyond 5 feet, and less than 2 feet. I took a chance, and got my optometrist to modify the prescription for my dominant eye so that I had the front sight perfectly in focus without having to 'focus'. I took a mock-up pistol in with me so she could have me do a target aim, and she slipped the lenses in and out of the frame until the perfect one was found. I had a pair of glasses made, and they work very well as 'computer' glasses and for shooting. Stuff beyond barrel length is slightly blurry (but still legal to drive with), as is stuff at reading distance. I got a light yellow tint as well to add a bit of contrast.

Yep, certainly start with you optometrist...explain just what problems you are having. And not all optometrists are equal. A lot of the bargain price optometrists (think walmart, sterling optical, etc) are more geared to quantity than quality.

I'm very fortunate , With a peep sight , my .50 longrifle is a killer again. I don't shoot more than 35 yds. w/my favorite Cheat River .40 ugly stick , and can see good enough for that. I gotta git to the range asap. Early seasons coming up soon. In a panic !!

I'm very fortunate , With a peep sight , my .50 longrifle is a killer again. I don't shoot more than 35 yds. w/my favorite Cheat River .40 ugly stick , and can see good enough for that. I gotta git to the range asap. Early seasons coming up soon. In a panic !!
me too as soon as i am cleared

Years back a lot of hi power shooters would use knobloc's..
They were purely for seeing sightes, were only one sided on a frame and offered no protection.
I'm still able for the most part to use my regular prescription glasses, lucky at 77 yrs I guess.

If you want to shoot in non-sanctioned events , try a simple peep sight. Works for me . The rear and front sight plus the target are in focus w/o special glasses. ...............oldwood
I have to agree with oldwood.....a peep sight just about solves all your problems. Once you get it sighted in, you just look at the front sight and put the top of the sight where you want to hit and bingo !! Once you get set up like this, you don't have to line up 3 things at one time....rear sight, front sight and target....

I am blessed with excellent long range vision, it's the close stuff that gives me problems. I knew it was coming so over the years I gave a lot of thought to what I'd do when I could no longer see well enough to shoot. I am a hunter now but I used to shoot a lot in BP matches, and I regulary do a lot of shooting on my home range, so I knew the end result I wanted to achieve.
So just a few years ago I checked the sights on my .54 and .40 flintlocks and I could see to shoot fine. But that same season around christmas I shot the .40 in prep of a squirrel hunt. To my dismay I could no longer shoot accurately, there were 3 distinct lines where the top of the sight should have been.
But I was prepared due to thinking about it. I made up a few peep sights I had been thinking about. These were to be small and unobtrusive, almost like they were meant to be on a longrifle. They have a small amount of verticle adustment, windage adjustment is by the front sight. The key for windage is how accurate I can drill and tap the center of the tang. There is a good bit of hand work involved but I'm a retired Tool & Die maker/Aerospace structural data SME , so it was no big problem.
I have it on both my .40 and .54 and the next rifle I build will have one also.
My vision cleared just as I needed. I know my peeps could be fancied up but I like them as they are.
No I am not selling them.
SS850099.jpg

Back