• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

HELP! Flint Target Pistol Caliber???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which caliber should I get?

• .44 Smoothbore

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • .45 Rifled

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey gun buddies! :)

Looking to get a Pedersoli Charles Moore for recreational target shooting. Comes in two calibers in flint, one is a .44 smoothbore and the other is a .45 rifled.

443-D1551-E787-4-AF9-9-A8-E-CD43-E5-F14-B2-B.jpg

Guys, my question is, what caliber for informal recreational target shooting and plinking?? Both are priced very close to one another, the smoothbore is about $50 cheaper. Help!! :(

-Smokey

Smokey,

I personally would get the .44 smoothbore, but it also depends on other factors. In a competition, you would get more range out of the .45 rifled, same with other doings of a similar type. But to be honest, with the smoothy, you could kill snakes easily with the shot, and then for other purposes you could use ball. And the smooth bore brings a very versatile ability in other ways we know.

Also, getting sick of that pesky little animal? The .45 would give you (alittle) more power and range with the rifling. But then, with the smoothy, you could also make good use of shot depending on the critter. It depends on these things plus some, but, again, to be honest, they'd both do just fine.

SD

Last edited:
Question, would the 44 shoot a bare .440 round ball and the 45 a patched one. If you have a hankering for a 45 rifle at some point, having a pistol that uses the same ball is nice.

For target, go with the rifled version. I have one of those from Armi Chiappa that is a tack driver (I wish I could hold so steady as to do it more than once in a row). How often do you have to kill a snake in real life? Get a grip, guys; take a step back, and walk around.

Pedersoli lists a .435 ball for the smoothbore and a .445 for the rifled version. Doesn’t amount to much difference. Personally I’d just go with the rifled version unless you have some smooth bore competitions on the menu.

I went to the Pedersoli web site.

The smoothbore calls for a 0.435 ball. (no Pedersoli link for shot wads)

The rifled pistol calls for a 0.445 ball.

Good job biliff. Beat me to the Pedersoli website.

Pedersoli lists a .435 ball for the smoothbore and a .445 for the rifled version. Doesn’t amount to much difference. Personally I’d just go with the rifled version unless you have some smooth bore competitions on the menu.

Rifled will probably be more accurate

The rifled sure will gave you more basic accuracy. I have one of those, but in percussion and it's a nice shooting pistol.

Smokey,

I know you said this pistol will be for rec shooting, but do you happen to be into reenacting/living history? If so, what time frame? Although this pistol might not be 100% correct, depending, it could be worked into an era.

Smokey,

I know you said this pistol will be for rec shooting, but do you happen to be into reenacting/living history? If so, what time frame? Although this pistol might not be 100% correct, depending, it could be worked into an era.

The smooth-bore would be good for re-enacting a duel set to the English Rules, but not to the French Rules- they used RIFLED barrels!!! :eek:

At snake shot range (just beyond fang reach) a .45 rifled barrel will probably do just fine.
Besides, there's LOTS of bullet choices for .45.

Latest posts

Back