• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help finding barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a older Kentucky (older) two piece stock ,I would like to build have been practicing my skills on these cheeped it but it needs a barrel where would be the best place to get one from

their are many places. ive used the oregon rifle barrel co. with good results.

You will have more money spent on the new barrel than was spent for the parts and probably little to gain other than experience. Well, since the stock was given to you, then certainly you will be paying much more for the barrel. Do you have the lock and all the other hardware?

Look for a similar rifle with a bad stock. That will probably be less expensive than a new barrel.

The two piece stock is a give-away that the original rifle was an El Cheapo import from the earlier days if this game. It is probably a CVA. The locks were pretty sorry. I wouldn't invest much into building that gun. In fact, personally, I wouldn't invest anything in it. Figure your budget and start shopping for parts or a kit to build a decent rifle.

I would try Ebay for a used CVA Kentucky rifle barrel. The early ones were 45, then 50 added later. Also there was one for sale on this site a few months back. You might go thru the back pages of the classifieds.

But if you don't have the rest of the hardware you might have more in it then you want. But that's a common affliction in this hobby.

I have been having the opposite thoughts. I have an old CVA (I think) with a decent stock but always hated the two piece thing. I was thinking of getting a plain pre carve and using the barrel and parts to make something else.

It would probably be cheaper in the long run to find another old one and strip the parts than to just buy them individually but you never know. Good learning experience to build or redo one from parts.

You might consider a liner or boring larger (if possible) and re-rifled.
Bobby Hoyt can do either.. and cheaper than a new barrel.

Would need to call Bobby and ask about a rebore or liner for a CVA. Word is that he will not work I CVAs because of how they are breeched, but I have not personally talked to him on the topic. He is a good guy to work with and will tell you straight up what he can and cannot do.

You might want to reread the original post. He said he had a stock and that's it. Pretty hard to rebore when you don't have a barrel to start with.

Back