• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help finding A Screw - M1842 Aston/Johnson Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ll cut to the chase. I own an original Model 1842 Aston/Johnson Percussion Pistol date stamped 1854, Johnson. Love shooting it and it’s reliable and pretty spot on at 20 yard. Recently when pulling out the ramrod it came apart. Close examination, the Swivel Arms , the Ramrod. the barrel mount and Sliding Collar are all perfect no damage or bending. It’s the small screw “Link Screw” that attaches the arms to the barrel mount. The screw broke in two just above the threads. The piece threaded in the arm easily came out finger lose so no damage to the threads in the arm. My guess it got lose and was flexing until it broke. Question is where can I get another “Link Screw” and what size thread is it? I will even go for a complete ramrod assembly if that be the case, would of course save the original one. I attached pics here. Any help would be appreciated, thanks👍
5F237AA2-9490-41A1-9B1E-E788205E7FC9.jpeg
1AAB1AFD-D4B5-466F-95E0-D1939964E02D.jpeg
A1D31554-2662-4BB1-8DD4-AAE001F7F07B.jpeg
4F4988D6-A518-4C3D-8340-E3997C664F83.jpeg
7E87E12B-CD24-46AD-A5B1-A2C871A8F993.jpeg

Last edited:
Lodgewood Mfg. has the screw you're looking for: M1842 Link Screw (Reproduction for Original)-#155
They have a lot of other great stuff, too!
Mike
Huge thank you!!!! Never heard of this site and actually picked up some spare (just in case) parts for my pistol and also my 1863 Springfield along with some accessories. Had the extra screw needed so I did order 2 🤔

Lodgewood Mfg. has the screw you're looking for: M1842 Link Screw (Reproduction for Original)-#155
They have a lot of other great stuff, too!
Mike
That is good to know! It looks as if they have all the parts necessary to rebuild or replace the ramrod and swivel link assembly if needed. The fact that these parts are available as reproductions suggests they must be needed pretty often.

I have dealt with Lodgewood a couple of times. They are indeed good folks, and highly recommended.

Notchy Bob

Now realized why so many of the M1842 pistols suffered cracked stocks. Seen it slam loaded on You Tube videos on guys shooting them. They upright the muzzle on the wood table and take the swivel ramrod and keep slamming it down hard on a tight barrel after a few shots. The force on the butt end of the stock against a hard surface stress out up near the breach and then cracks. Most I’ve seen have cracks in the same spots. Also the swivel Ramrod gets all beat up and then bends or breaks.

On mine I never slammed the next round down. The bore is in excellent shape. I take the time and run a patch down it and always have a small padded pad under the stock when reloading. Now I learned after breaking the Link Bolt. I got a generic pistol ramrod instead of using the swivel ramrod risking damage to it.

Back