• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help....Fiber Optic Sight for 1980 TC Hawken 50 Caliber Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wseidel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello from Northern Minnesota,

I built a TC Hawken 50 caliber percussion rifle kit 41 years ago and just recently purchased a similar vintage kit to build this winter (model 5113). On my original rifle I installed Thompson Center fiber optic sights - as a help to my aging eyes. I'm looking for a similar set for this new rifle project. Does anyone have any leads on where I might purchase these sights or even have a model number? My internet search so far has been unproductive...until I came across your forum. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you cannot locate one perhaps the original front sight could be used bye carefully sawing a notch in the blade and inserting a piece of fiber optic in the notch.

Just done a quick search type in fiber optic sights for rifles , tru glow makes all kinds of those that I would bet could be made to work

Welcome Wseidel!

my wife’s folks are from up in the Thief River area. Love it up there during the warmer months...winter not so much.

Try Brownell’s.. They have a couple that should work but Might take some filing. Good luck!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Part of my dilemma is knowing the exact Thompson Center model number that would fit. My understanding is that the older model TC's use different sights (screw hole spacing). Again, most appreciated!

Send an e-mail to The Log Cabin Shop and ask them your question. They are great folks to deal with.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I realize the original TC fiber optic sights are likely discontinued so the assistance in sleuthing to find a set is encouraging. Much appreciated!

I got fiber optic sights for my TC Cherokee this summer from Williams gun sights in Davison, Michigan. I called and talked to them and the guy figured out what I needed. I’m very happy with them as I had trouble seeing iron sights.

Call Dixon’s Muzzleluading shop in PA. They put fiber optics on my Lyman Great Plains Rifle about 2 years ago.

I installed a Williams fiber optic set on my more modern gun. Two green dots at the rear, one red dot on the front sight. I am VERY happy with it. The only thing better than that is a telescopic sight!

Just received a catalog from RMC OX-YOKE, they show 2 different models for T/C. One with 15/16 octagon barrels, and one with 1 inch. Nice set with rear peep & front fiber optic for $55 The peep sight should help you focus.
Good local Pa company
Rmcoxyoke.com

I have a Williams "Ghost Ring" set of fiber optic (FO) sights currently on my TC Renegade.
There were two different variations of the rear sight bolt spacing. Track of the Wolf says there are several different spacings out there and TC never did standardize the spacing. The two most common though are said to be 3/4" and 13/16".
The Williams rear sight I bought was supposed to fit mine perfectly, but didn't. The sight holes were slightly shorter than my barrel's spacing. I just slotted one of the holes on the sight until I could get the second bolt to thread in.
Often the front 3/8 dovetail on a new sight will require some filing to fit into the dovetail cut into the barrel. Sight companies want it to be a tight fit and size them a bit big so they can be filed down to fit snugly. I had to make several passes on a file before the Williams would fit into the dovetail on my Renegade.

Later TC fiber optic sights were made by Williams and only required one screw to mount them.

Back