• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

HELP, does anyone know anything about set triggers on a CVA 50cal ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kia Ora (Hello)from New Zealand.
I have a small problem with my CVA .( I hear not so great things on them) but I Love this rifle. It's got many a Kai( Feed) for my whanau ( family over the years & very accurate:)
The problem is....
The hammer is not holding at full cock.
I see there seems to be a screw missing between the two triggers.
Is this the setup for the fine trigger?
& if so would anyone know the dimensions of the screw I need?
Thanks in advance. I live very remotely & have no internet signal out home.
Have a awesome day fellow Black powder friends 👍
Nga mihi( kind regards)
Chris

Attachments

• 20210905_051841.jpg
    20210905_051841.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 95
There should be a screw between the two triggers. You can probably order one from the usual venders, but given your location it may take time to get one. Another option is to pull the trigger assembly and take it to a hardware store and buy a short metric screw that fits.

The screw is missing but that one adjusts the engagement of the rear trigger to the front. Theres another that positions the rear trigger so it allows the sear to engage the tumbler.
IMG_0270 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Adjusted so it lays down to work correctly.
IMG_0271 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Also check the lock to see if the screw in the tumbler is adjust to have the sear engaged.
IMG_0403 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Kia Ora ( Hi) Kansas Jake. Thanks for your help. Yes indeed, theres a screw come loose. I did think that that would be it.
Your correct... & unfortunately in NZ we don't have anything like the network of Muzzleloader shops you are lucky enough to have . So I will have to do what you suggest 👍
Really appreciate your help and advice.
Kind regards Chris

That screw sets the amount of set that the trigger pulls, however I doubt that that is the reason for the hammer not holding full cock. My opinion is to dissemble the lock and test the action away from the triggers. In the days of CVA, kits were more popular and it was my experience that the triggers were set too deep in the stock. They would function but never to the old timers satisfaction, and weren't sensitive to the little screw in the trigger set, which may explain why the screw is missing. The CVA is as good as any for accuracy, some of the metal was a smite soft and required attention as used. I have seen the hole in the stock not quiet big enough to let the hammer latch.
Good luck

Ahh nice Phil, you know my island home, do you know where Pukatea bay is? Theres actually 3 of them. But our place is opposite D.urville island, across from French Pass.
Thanks to you &everyone for helping me out here. Very much appreciated.

I was there for only three weeks and our friends that showed us around live in Ca Ca Point (spelling?) . We didn’t get that far north but had a dandy time with hands on tour guide. I did help him repair his 1881 Winchester since he has a lathe and I could make the part. When they visited here they were amazed that most things can be bought within a few miles.
Good Day,

If you can't find a screw with the correct thread just re-tap the screw hole to a slightly larger thread that you have a screw for and replace the screw. screw the screw in till it works and then you can see how long to cut the new screw to. Okay?

Morena ( good) That's a smart idea.Mr Mackc.
Thanks to everyone for all your help with this. I'm looking forward to having a crack at your suggestion when I get home after my rostered days on.👍

I was there for only three weeks and our friends that showed us around live in Ca Ca Point (spelling?) . We didn’t get that far north but had a dandy time with hands on tour guide. I did help him repair his 1881 Winchester since he has a lathe and I could make the part. When they visited here they were amazed that most things can be bought within a few miles.
Good Day,

Morena Phil, I know how tricky it is for visitors to struggle with Maori place names:)
Mmmm would that have been Karaka point in Picton??? Lovely place.
Or possibly Kaka point?
Either way I am glad you got to our country, I hope you had a great time here.
Kind regards Chris
Nga mihi

I have a CVA .50 Mountain rifle I built from a kit with a serial number of 7000 that I built back in the 1970s, my shooting partner also built its brother with a serial number of 7009, I picked the kits up at a local wholesaler at a sale price (buy one get the second kit for a dollar.) The only problem we had was weak hammer springs. we wrote CVA and they sent us new springs, since they found out that the original springs were not tempered correctly. We have never had any problems with them, both were really accurate out to 150 yards with patched round balls. I still have mine and it is the only BP muzzle loader I have. I had a FIE BP Remington cloned .44 revolver for a while, sold it., also the .50 CVA seems to be the only one I have ever needed.. my fav rifle is a NM .308 M1A for target and fav deer etc. rifle is a custom built Springfield .3006 03A3. fav truck gun is a .223 Ruger Mini 14. I do have an DPMS LAR .308 but it is just another "Mattel, it's swell" hunk of tin, LOL

Kia Ora Mooman, I have a CVA .50 mountain rifile??? 1 wedge Hakwin. Sorry I'm really not 100% on type.
I have a TC Hawkein also looks same.style. I enjoy both but perfer the CVA for taking game. I think its 1 inck smaller than TC? Barrel is thicker. Got quite a few black powder guns. & make own powder. Got a tree in NZ called Kowhai & it make very very fast BP 💨

Back