• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP! Cleaning jag stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahkagari

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a cleaning jag tip with a cleaning patch stuck in my .58 Hawken. Wooden ramrod broke while trying to pull it out. Fortunately enough of it left that I was able to unscrew the brass base. I can build another rod with better grip, but the thing is jammed in tight. Should I try pouring oil/solvent down? Or will that just make the patch swell tighter? I heard someone say something about pouring 3F in a touch hole, but that scares me that I'd blow the bbl up.

If the jag is in the bottom of the breech. Then try three of four grains of powder pushed in through the touch hole and shoot it out. Make sure the muzzle is pointing in a safe direction and not at anything where it is likely to ricochet back at you. I’m almost a pro at shooting balls, jags and ramrod tips that have been stuck.

If the jag is in the bottom of the breech. Then try three of four grains of powder pushed in through the touch hole and shoot it out. Make sure the muzzle is pointing in a safe direction and not at anything where it is likely to ricochet back at you. I’m almost a pro at shooting balls, jags and ramrod tips that have been stuck.

Yep! Shoot it out.
Some people have luck using an air compressor, but not me.

Yep! Shoot it out.
Some people have luck using an air compressor, but not me.

Tried the air compressor to no avail. Also tried unscrewing the breech plug but id did not budge. I assume it's welded or loctited. I'll try shooting it. Won't this be fun!

Tried the air compressor to no avail. Also tried unscrewing the breech plug but id did not budge. I assume it's welded or loctited. I'll try shooting it. Won't this be fun!

Breech plugs often require 3-5 feet or more of cheater bar to remove, and can result in damage if done incorrectly. Shooting it out is much easier.

Remember, it will come out with deadly velocity, so treat it accordingly and consider the jag a goner.

Do you have a large diameter at least brass cleaning rod, even multi piece?
If so screw the tip end onto the jag and use the T handle. Put some oil down the barrel. Might be hard to get out but should work.
If you have no other way but to shoot it out I wouldn't put more than 10gns in it. Make sure it's all the way down before you shoot it. I've shot ram rod out in 45 cal with 5gns.
Breach plugs can be a bear. If the barrel has a screw in drum most likely it will need to be removed. I put smooth plates in good vice and tighten it till you think you'll crush the barrel or break the vice. Wrap some tough tape around breach and sheet metal. Put flat plates on jaws of a big pipe wrench and tighten the wrench with big pliers. Put good pressure on it and hold the pressure against it. Don't jerk on it it's fruitless. A piece of pipe on the wrench to magnify the pressure if needed. If still no luck use a propane torch on it while the pressure is on. Makes a mess of the tape but it will clean. It will come off. This works for me.

We should also mention that you don't remove the breech plug on a CVA gun Just in case someone hasn't seen it mentioned a 1000 times before.

If you have an old blanket roll it up real tight and shoot the Jag into it. You may just reclaim the Jag.
Oh and don't attempt to unscrew the breech plug, you may do some damage.

Lol.

It may pull out if you soak it with a good solvent for a day or two, and you can thread another ram rod or cleaning rod onto the jag. I learned the hard way about using the tulip-tip on the ramrod of my 1861 as a jag. Went down easy, had a terrible time getting it out. After a good soak, I clamped the ram rod in a vise, then pulled on the rifle, and it broke loose.

It may pull out if you soak it with a good solvent for a day or two, and you can thread another ram rod or cleaning rod onto the jag. I learned the hard way about using the tulip-tip on the ramrod of my 1861 as a jag. Went down easy, had a terrible time getting it out. After a good soak, I clamped the ram rod in a vise, then pulled on the rifle, and it broke loose.

I think he said the rod end broke off.

He said the rod broke, but was able to un-screw what was left of it, from the jag. He should be able to screw another rod back on the jag. Come on now Carb, pay attention! :)

He said the rod broke, but was able to un-screw what was left of it, from the jag. He should be able to screw another rod back on the jag. Come on now Carb, pay attention! :)

Oh, Thanks.

Everyone should invest in a solid steel cleaning rod if they don't have one.
I've had to tie mine to a tree or stick it in a bench vise more than once.
Plan B is still to shoot it out.

If you have an old blanket roll it up real tight and shoot the Jag into it. You may just reclaim the Jag.
Oh and don't attempt to unscrew the breech plug, you may do some damage.

Lol.
Particularly if you use a pipe wrench. Used correctly I’m sure someone else could manage it but I would most likely scar the barrel for life.

Back