• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP! Cleaning Black Powder handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel wool polishes does nothing for etching/pitting , why it's used for cleaning up bores (leading)/Ed
Removing metal is what removes pitting. The blemish I had on my Uberti finish looked etched and deep but thank God it wasn’t otherwise it would have gone back to Midway.

In 1968 Dad brought home an 1861 Colt Navy. It was my job to disassemble & clean it after a trip to the range. We went shooting nearly every weekend, so I got plenty of practice.
The rule was to never let the sun set before all guns have been cleaned.
Warm water with dish soap and brushes were used, followed with a hot water rinse, then WD-40 to remove moisture. Barricade was used when guns were prepped for storage.
So, put away the gun scrubber, Ballistol, Windex and all that other ¢rap and use dish detergent & warm water.
After over 50 years and my first cap & ball revolver has had a lot of worn parts replaced, but it still looks like new.
Replica Arms 1861 Colt Navy to post.jpg

In 1968 Dad brought home an 1861 Colt Navy. It was my job to disassemble & clean it after a trip to the range. We went shooting nearly every weekend, so I got plenty of practice.
The rule was to never let the sun set before all guns have been cleaned.
Warm water with dish soap and brushes were used, followed with a hot water rinse, then WD-40 to remove moisture. Barricade was used when guns were prepped for storage.
So, put away the gun scrubber, Ballistol, Windex and all that other ¢rap and use dish detergent & warm water.
After over 50 years and my first cap & ball revolver has had a lot of worn parts replaced, but it still looks like new. And don't leave it overnite before cleaning.
View attachment 149320

when I said this very same thing I was met with scoffing, derision and mocking
I still have been known to put BP gun parts in the machine. Works

That would work great in a dedicated gun parts washer just for that but if I did that in our dishwasher I have a very good idea the wife would use my Dragoon as a club over my head!!🤕

If you boiled the parts in a pan, it might be where the metal was touching the bottom of the pan. It makes water marks and swirls on surface. I’ll boil to clean, but usually just browned or blued parts

when I said this very same thing I was met with scoffing, derision and mocking
I still have been known to put BP gun parts in the machine. Works well.
There is no doubt that cleaning your revolver in a dishwasher will get it absolutely squeaky clean. Using the dishwasher is easier than normal cleaning with tepid water, some dish washing soap, patches and normal cleaning. It would take me longer to clean the dishwasher after using it to clean my revolvers than it would to just get the bucket, water and soap. So, even though the Dishwasher method works, do expect to catch some scoffing, derision and mocking. I expect that the harsher chemicals used in the dishwasher detergent to be harder on the finish and one still has to get rut inhibiting lubricant into all the places that rust can form.

Using boiling water to clean a muzzle loader of any description is just not necessary. It works of course, but its not necessary and I don't like getting my fingers burned cleaning my muzzle loaders.

I don't submerge my BP revolvers. I just use twisted paper towels and q-tips dampened with some olive oil to get the big stuff out of the chambers. What's left gets hit with q-tips and some 'Damn Good Bore Solvent," which is probably just Windex, based on how it smells. I bought the stuff when I got my first revolver.

I vigorously rub Frog Lube over and into everything when I finish, removing the excess after I finish, so the parts are dry but slick because of how the vigorous rubbing gets the Frog Lube into the pores. That actually makes the cleaning process a lot faster the next time I shoot.

Tepid water is , along with a drop of Dawn (to make you feel better) the only thing needed ! Boiling water is for tea/coffee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Ed
I suspect the reason hot water was favored, was largely to speed rhe drying, maybe to cut contaminated chamber grease faster, in the case of revolvers. Just guessing....

I suspect the reason hot water was favored, was largely to speed rhe drying, maybe to cut contaminated chamber grease faster, in the case of revolvers. Just guessing....
Yup your guessing , cold barrel add hot water = warm . Everything done today mimics what was done back when ,if you think back in the day folks boiled water for anything other than coffee /baths (hold that thought) ! Warm worked if a crick weren't close (supplied by the shooter) if you get my drift ,other than that tepid /cold as long as it was water it worked . like most thing simple prevails , it's folks today who have to invent new ways to make what works more complicated than needed/Ed

Back