• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP! Cleaning Black Powder handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Pietta 1851 to the range yesterday, but only sat down to clean it this afternoon. I used gun cleaner (Breakthrough) for most of the cleaning with a little bit of Ballistol on some of the stubborn stuff. I was having a particularly hard time with the breech area and the cylinder, so put the barrel and the cylinder in boiling water to soften up some of the fouling. The cylinder came out fine, but the barrel came out with a bunch of black marks on it. Nothing seems to work on getting rid of 'em. Here are a couple pics, after about an hour of polishing with Simichrome. What?? Anybody have any ideas? Why did this happen? I've used boiling water before with no ill effects.

Attachments

• IMG_6458.jpg
    IMG_6458.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6457.jpg
    IMG_6457.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
I would suggest their was something in the water you used.Or else you still had residue on the barrel and the boiling water expanded any fine pits in the barrel and allowed the residue to get in.

I took my Pietta 1851 to the range yesterday, but only sat down to clean it this afternoon. I used gun cleaner (Breakthrough) for most of the cleaning with a little bit of Ballistol on some of the stubborn stuff. I was having a particularly hard time with the breech area and the cylinder, so put the barrel and the cylinder in boiling water to soften up some of the fouling. The cylinder came out fine, but the barrel came out with a bunch of black marks on it. Nothing seems to work on getting rid of 'em. Here are a couple pics, after about an hour of polishing with Simichrome. What?? Anybody have any ideas? Why did this happen? I've used boiling water before with no ill effects.
Tepid water is , along with a drop of Dawn (to make you feel better) the only thing needed ! Boiling water is for tea/coffee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/Ed

Read some where about easy clean up but messy is to use well lubed wads under the balls (Crisco) and use veg oil for all cleaning. Works for me, no rust, only uses 5 or 6 paper towels.

I took my Pietta 1851 to the range yesterday, but only sat down to clean it this afternoon. I used gun cleaner (Breakthrough) for most of the clean with a little bit of Ballistol on some of the stubborn stuff. I was having a particularly hard time with the breech area and the cylinder, so put the barrel and the cylinder in boiling water to soften up some of the fouling. The cylinder came out fine, but the barrel came out with a bunch of black marks on it. Nothing seems to work on getting rid of 'em. Here are a couple pics, after about an hour of polishing with Simichrome. What?? Anybody have any ideas? Why did this happen? I've used boiling water before with no ill effects.
By chance were you using Pyrodex? I have seen similar if Pyrodex residue is left to sit for any length of time (think hours), particularly in high humidity, while real blackpowder residue takes days or longer before it starts to work it’s magic.

Last edited:
Well from your description it sounds like the black marks happened from the dunk into boiling water. Sounds like a case to not use boiling water for cleaning. Warm water and soap is what works, and a little bottle of moose milk at the range to just wet a patch for the bore and cylinder helps greatly, especially if cleaning will not be done till the next day. Just apply a little in a quick sloppy wipe down will make it ten times easier when it is cleaned.

But this story is sure a vote for antiquing or defarbing as then it all is part of the wear of using and cleaning. Don't have to worry about keeping it brand new and tends to put the fun back into shooting and clean up.

You don't need boiling water. Windex is very easy and cheap and the ammonia (a base) in the Windex neutralizes the acid. Dawn and warm water works. Easiest method I've found yet is a large ultrasonic with warm distilled water and about 6oz of Simple Green added. Remove the cylinder and grips, put the entire pistol in, let the buzzing commence for about an hour. Remove, dry, oil, assemble, done.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's "lesson learned". I believe that it was a combination of everything. Tap water, boiling, Pyrodex, waiting a day, and polished "silver" gun. The results weren't just "black marks" but actually etched. I've been at the barrel and loading rod with 400-1000 grit sandpaper to get rid of 'em.

-jack

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's "lesson learned". I believe that it was a combination of everything. Tap water, boiling, Pyrodex, waiting a day, and polished "silver" gun. The results weren't just "black marks" but actually etched. I've been at the barrel and loading rod with 400-1000 grit sandpaper to get rid of 'em.

-jack

Sandpaper will scratch your finish. Try using 0000 steel wool or even better bronze wool and gun oil to lightly rub the stain. I had a nasty looking blemish on the barrel of my brand new Uberti Dragoon and the only method that removed the stain was steel wool and oil. Go lightly, you don’t want to scratch the finish.

Sandpaper will scratch your finish. Try using 0000 steel wool or even better bronze wool and gun oil to lightly rub the stain. I had a nasty looking blemish on the barrel of my brand new Uberti Dragoon and the only method that removed the stain was steel wool and oil. Go lightly, you don’t want to scratch the finish.
The gun is polished steel, not blued. So in effect I couldn't make it any worse by using sandpaper. I believe it's called the "Old Silver" or some such nonsense.

I think that was the beginning of my problem - no bluing to protect it from whatever did the damage. The black marks weren't just stains or seepage into open pores but actually etched as if I'd dipped it acid. I could feel the marks if I ran my fingernail across it. I started with Simichrome paste, then 0000 steel wool, and then 1500 grit and the only effect was to remove the "black" but the marks were still there. So I spent a couple hours this morning sanding and polishing, and for the most part it's unnoticeable.

The weirdest part of the whole thing.... I boiled the cylinder and the cylinder for my 1858 at the same time and they were totally unaffected.

-jack

The gun is polished steel, not blued. So in effect I couldn't make it any worse by using sandpaper. I believe it's called the "Old Silver" or some such nonsense.

I think that was the beginning of my problem - no bluing to protect it from whatever did the damage. The black marks weren't just stains or seepage into open pores but actually etched as if I'd dipped it acid. I could feel the marks if I ran my fingernail across it. I started with Simichrome paste, then 0000 steel wool, and then 1500 grit and the only effect was to remove the "black" but the marks were still there. So I spent a couple hours this morning sanding and polishing, and for the most part it's unnoticeable.

The weirdest part of the whole thing.... I boiled the cylinder and the cylinder for my 1858 at the same time and they were totally unaffected.

-jack
My dad used to say, if something didn't work out right, you were holding your mouth wrong. Ballistol is very good for cleaning diluted to 5:1. I also learned on this forum that Windex with ammonia works good, too.

-jack
Steel wool polishes does nothing for etching/pitting , why it's used for cleaning up bores (leading)/Ed

My dad used to say, if something didn't work out right, you were holding your mouth wrong. Ballistol is very good for cleaning diluted to 5:1. I also learned on this forum that Windex with ammonia works good, too.
Moose milk made with Ballistol is fantastic.👌

Latest posts

Back