• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiroiHiyake

32 Cal
Reaction score
It seems I got ahead of myself by posting a thread before an introduction. While I am relatively new to muzzle loading I have always been fascinated by flintlock firearms. I came here to seek knowledge from others and share what little I have. Granted if I can answer your questions it is probably irrelevant to muzzle loading firearms. I am a member of the U.S. Army ordnance corps and a first year law student. Thank you and I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

Welcome from Sunny Southern California, it's raining now so....
Being ordnance Corp perhaps you could shed some light on black powder use in the US Army. Heard somewhere that they use up to 1 million lbs per year. Thanks. US Army 1981-85.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Welcome from Sunny Southern California, it's raining now so....
Being ordnance Corp perhaps you could shed some light on black powder use in the US Army. Heard somewhere that they use up to 1 million lbs per year. Thanks. US Army 1981-85.
The term Ordnance is miss leading. It originates in the corps that handled explosives but it no longer servers that purpose. The ordnance corps is essentially the maintenance corps of the Army. Modern wars are fought on the brigade level and at that level all of logistics is combined into battalions and companies that serve all three logistical roles. Ordnance is the maintenance role. I oversee soldiers within the 91 series of MOS which are all maintainers. My platoon specifically is ground support equipment. They maintain heavy equipment like tractors or anything with hydraulic booms, air conditioners, heaters, diesel generators, and water purification systems. When functioning as a field support company we can supply ammunition but no of the logistical tracking in the army requires calculation of powder unless you are transporting artillery charges which come separate from the projectile. There is a yellow book on the proper handling and storage of ammunition and explosives that tracks the ammos explosive equivalence to TNT which starts at .22lr and goes all the way up to large bombs, but even that doesn't give details on powder charges.

Back