• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello, my name is Bill Rowe, looking at retirement, I have been into Muzzle loading for almost 50 years, and hope to get more involved.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMO , Won't be running to many races, as both hips, a knee, and a shoulder have be replaced, ( Motorcycle accidents, 1946 chief is doing fine though). I still ride. Hope to get back to making a couple flint rifles and some horns before the hands give out totally . I miss shooting, as I take it like a fine round of golf ( that I have never played ) , a slow paced , time consuming, concentration game, that is only enhanced when shared with good friends. Take care.

Thanks Bill:
I was forced into retirement at 68 by a stroke. NOT much fun layin' in an ICU for 6 weeks! :(
Just been trying to get back to my knife making roots for the past few years. Thank you again. I appreciate anyone who likes my work. :thumb::ThankYou:
This is a great place to hang yer hat. ;)
Stay safe. I look forward to seeing some of your work as well.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I used to do a lot of hunting in GOOD OLE, PENCILTUCKY, the dear there are good & back when I hunter there 45 yrs ago, it was only muzzle loaders, I believe? I may be wrong?. and I beleave that modern rifles had to be bolt actions, manually operated. not a PUMP or SEMI AUTO? any way WELCOME.

SMO , Won't be running to many races, as both hips, a knee, and a shoulder have be replaced, ( Motorcycle accidents, 1946 chief is doing fine though). I still ride. Hope to get back to making a couple flint rifles and some horns before the hands give out totally . I miss shooting, as I take it like a fine round of golf ( that I have never played ) , a slow paced , time consuming, concentration game, that is only enhanced when shared with good friends. Take care.
isn't OLD AGE just great!!?

Glad to hear the Chief is doing well. I'm sure you managed to thoughtfully place your body as a buffer between asphalt and Chief;) Sadly been there, done thato_O, still riding:thumb:

Shooting Black Powder Muzzle loaders since the early 1970's before I was out of high school. I have traveled all through Michigan competing during that decade at local and state level. Have qualified for a 50 patch at Friendship ( cross sticks ), and love flintlocks. I like to build my own guns, but love the work of others. Like they say " Once you fondled one, you want to fondle them all ". I have a nice collection of rifles, and handguns, and I build knifes out of D-2 steel, and make and scrimshaw my own horns. I look forward to making new friends, and helping where I can. Thank you, Cheers,
hiya Bill, Welcome.

Shooting Black Powder Muzzle loaders since the early 1970's before I was out of high school. I have traveled all through Michigan competing during that decade at local and state level. Have qualified for a 50 patch at Friendship ( cross sticks ), and love flintlocks. I like to build my own guns, but love the work of others. Like they say " Once you fondled one, you want to fondle them all ". I have a nice collection of rifles, and handguns, and I build knifes out of D-2 steel, and make and scrimshaw my own horns. I look forward to making new friends, and helping where I can. Thank you, Cheers,
Hmmm.....
Struggling to figure which one is you.
Excellent pic. What is the story behind it?
You remind me of Captain Hook's first mate kinda.

welcome aboard

Whitworth, I made a good fat buffer. I would gripe but she is the only gal that has not divorced(s) me and got a house. I did keep all the guns though !

Attachments

• 20190508_072843.jpg
    20190508_072843.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 57
Just landed myself. Grab an oar, this boat is a long way from being full and I look forward to learning from you.

LawrenceA,
I'm the one on the left, this picture was taken at Kalamazoo Living history show couple years back. This was one of the vendors that was set up , and really looked cool. I love it when they go over the top , and appreciate all that what went into it .. I have 21 grandkids (19 boys ) so I like to get pictures to send to them to help them get into ML and see how fun it is. Not just shooting guns, but the history. The Kalamazoo show is a Visual Disney Land for the muzzle loader with some wonderful outfits. I remember the first time the movie " Pirate of the Caribbean " came out, their were 1/2 dozen Jack Sparrows running around from mediocre to drop dead fantastic costumes. Most all vendor's are in period garb, its a hoot, and well worth the drive if you can make it.

Attachments

• 20190316_103103.jpg
    20190316_103103.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 58
LawrenceA,
I'm the one on the left, this picture was taken at Kalamazoo Living history show couple years back. This was one of the vendors that was set up , and really looked cool. I love it when they go over the top , and appreciate all that what went into it .. I have 21 grandkids (19 boys ) so I like to get pictures to send to them to help them get into ML and see how fun it is. Not just shooting guns, but the history. The Kalamazoo show is a Visual Disney Land for the muzzle loader with some wonderful outfits. I remember the first time the movie " Pirate of the Caribbean " came out, their were 1/2 dozen Jack Sparrows running around from mediocre to drop dead fantastic costumes. Most all vendor's are in period garb, its a hoot, and well worth the drive if you can make it.
Bit far for me mate and the Pacific will get in the way.

Hi from northern lower Michigan... My first love was BP rifles. But then I really got into WWI and WWII military rifles and amassed quite a collection. I recently sold most of it and have now become very interested once again in BP. I am looking forward to building a few kits in the near future...

Welcome from Tulsa OK

Thank you much, Its nice to wake up and open this form to such nice sentiment . I'm in a really great mood this morning, and will share a little story. My good friend Bud, calls me the other day and tells me he bought out this gun collection, but their were flintlock rifle's this guy shot that were still available, and asked if I was interested , and that he was going to make a offer pending on me. I said sure. I had envisioned a group of Thompson center and CVA starter guns you always see, as this is what we All started with, and the term flintlock was in reference to every muzzleloader , mostly percussion . Enclosed is pictures I received yesterday around noon, with a come over and see if you want them note attached. I was close to his home location, as I was at work playing on a New Orleans Ace project and normally the drive was over a hour. I masked up and went over to his house and looked them over.. As you can see the rust build up on the rifles was prevalent. And the guns looked like they were cared for, but not in a while. Needless to say, their mine and I'm in the process of cleaning them now, Looks like a rifled .36 cal. squire rifle, a smoothbore in .58 trade rifle style octagon to round, .69 smoothbore fox stamp on lock and barrel , and a Jager swamped rifled .58 that he actually gave me right there and then.... Yes, we are good enough friends that we have exchange presents at Christmas and Birthdays for years. Hell nobody else remembers we figure, so we usually get each his favorite bottle of whiskey. He kind a over did it this time. The real delight was the black powder pistol turn out to be a first generation 1869 manufacture. Not a re pop as thought. It is in good shape, with light grime and rust. Well used, And I'm being ever so care full not to over clean it. It has some mechanical issues with the hand and spring assembly. But a neat piece. He has recuperated his money and then some , even with giving me the present. I have a lot of clean up to do, but almost look forward to it. Have a great day, best wishes to all.

Attachments

• 636217435.jpg
    636217435.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 636217833.jpg
    636217833.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 62
Welcome to the forum. I'm certain you'll find it a invaluable resource. People are great here.
Ken from Ohio

Back