• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello, Introducing myself

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking65

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi,
About a year ago I bought an 1858 reproduction Remmington .36 Cal new police 6" barrel.( Cabela's pietta) I had every intention of purchasing a Kurst conversion cyl and get into cowboy shooting with a guy at work.

Cabela's at the time offered a "starter kit" 1/2 off. Everything I needed except powder. So, I figured why not? Got some powder, read everything I could about how to load it as I had no one near me that had any BP exp at all.

Went outside and shot the thing and WOW !! Hey Mikey, I liked it!!
Then, my wife inherited her Fathers guns after His passing and she wanted to get into Hunting! So now I had a reason to get a BP rifle in order to get out in the deer woods a week early.

After liking the 1858 Remmington I decided I am somewhat of a traditionalist. I found a nice used TC Hawkens for $200 from an older fella who had the misfortune of loosing a foot due to an accident.

It came with a .209 conversion which after shooting it a few times I kinda like it.
Problem is I know I'm going to loose that dang cap.I've already left it at the house and wound up driving all the way home from the range back to get it.
I cannot find a cap on the web anywhere. I'd have to buy the whole setup which I don't need.

ANy help on where I could find one or two of those would be great

Thanks!

There is no need for a 209 conversion.
It's a simple marketing ploy that has made someone rich.

Buy a standard 1/4x28 threaded nipple for your TC Hawken and some #11 caps and walk away happily knowing you won't lose a part.

Don't want to, the .209 conversion works just fine. Not posting to stir up emotion about who likes what, but thanks anyway!

no emotions stirred up at all, however, I agree with the previous posts, you don't need the .209 at all with a side lock. it will ignite the powder no better than a #11 or a musket cap. i'm with the other guys, i'd get a nipple and go about my day.

I agree with others regarding standard nipple.
However, replacement caps for that 209 arrangement can be purchased at:
Warren Custom Outdoor
3034 Aris St. NW
Warren, Ohio 44485-1601
Phone: 330-898-1475
Fax: 330-898-2562

Darrell

Check your state game regs.
That 209 conversion is not legal for hunting in some states

I understand that you seem to like the 209 primer conversion but, as you have found, it has problems with parts being able to be left behind. It offers no advantage over the #11 caps. However, if you really do like the 209 primer conversion, just be careful and not leave behind or loose any of the parts. But, I'm with all the others who have told you that the best thing to do is replace the conversion with a plain old 1/4 X 28 #11 nipple. It really is the best way to go. Trust me on this. But, in the final analysis, in spite of what all of us are telling you, if you choose to ignore our advice, it is your gun so do as you wish. :hatsoff:

Thanks Dnall thats what I was looking for.

I purchased the rifle used, and it already has the .209 conv. and its working just fine. I don't see the need and expense of changing it right now. I'm not opposed to maybe later after this season. No rules against it in Georgia at this time.

I do use No. 11's with my 1858 remmington w/no problems whatsoever.

Is there a .209 user, (would wouldn't be afraid to admit so on this forum) who could tell me if the unspent primer not seating all the way to the lip in the nipple is normal? I reload shotshells and have several primer brands on hand and the Win .209's seem to seat the best with about a 1/16 gap. Before screwing on the cap.

Thanks for all your comments, and for putting up with a newbie's questions. :)

Sir, I have some guns that are not talked about on this forum that use the 209 shotgun primers. On some of the modern guns that were designed for them they are simple to use and work great. On the guns that were designed for the #11 caps or other caps they really do work best and are simple. As to the way the 209 primers set tiny differences between brands can make a difference like you ask about. The good thing about the #11 caps has been that changing brands has not made a difference so far with the guns I shoot.

rbtom said:
Stick to the traditional cap, much better. I wouldn't think the .209 is even up for discussion on the forum.

Tom

they aren't, but, since it's on a traditional rifle, it's kind of a grey area. plus it's not a new idea, at the sunset of the heavy muzzleloading bench rifle era the gunsmiths had switched from platinum lined nipples to closed ignition with a primer. but, let's stay traditional folks.

Bought one when I first got into this sport, but have never used it...my thoughts on it were if pecussion cap supplies ever dried up, I would still be able to hunt! Seems like it may have been a smart move too! :v

Back