• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Virginia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this forum while I was looking for new ideals for leatherworking. I have been shooting black powder since 1980 and really enjoy it. Currently I have a Hawkins .50, CVA Navy Colt .44 and another percussion pistol in .45 cal. During the fall my Hawkins gets a workout and has done me well during deer season. I mentioned leatherworking so I will tell you a bit about what I just finished making. I had just purchased two extra cylinders for my navy colt and needed a way to carry them so I made me a two cylinder belt pouch to hold them. I also make custom knife sheaths, holsters, and scabbards. As another hobby I build, finish and restore knives (I do not forge them, but have been known to grind, heat treat, and temper them a time or two), and I really enjoy woodworking. My next leatherworking project is a possible bag. I am looking forward to talking with folks here and sharing ideals and swapping stories. Oh and there is anyone on here that served in the military in Germany from 1980 - 1984 I was a member of the Heidelberg Rod And Gun club and attended many of the mountain man rendezvous there swapping lies oh sorry I meant stories and was actually pretty good with Plains .30 cal and my tomahawk.
Greetings from East Texas (Piney Woods), and Heidelberg, Germany. I lived in Heidelberg for 10 years, across the Neckar, straight in front of the castle. Lived on the 3rd (top) floor of one of those ancient, beautiful mansions. The castle was at the foot of my bed (picture window) every night. As I recall castle lights went off at midnight. It was a good time, to say the least. Attended a couple Rod And Gun Club shoots, but never participated. I had just purchased my first Jim Chambers kit. It was a bit much for me at the time. Total time over-seas: minus USMC 25 years. Heidelberg was special.

I found this forum while I was looking for new ideals for leatherworking. I have been shooting black powder since 1980 and really enjoy it. Currently I have a Hawkins .50, CVA Navy Colt .44 and another percussion pistol in .45 cal. During the fall my Hawkins gets a workout and has done me well during deer season. I mentioned leatherworking so I will tell you a bit about what I just finished making. I had just purchased two extra cylinders for my navy colt and needed a way to carry them so I made me a two cylinder belt pouch to hold them. I also make custom knife sheaths, holsters, and scabbards. As another hobby I build, finish and restore knives (I do not forge them, but have been known to grind, heat treat, and temper them a time or two), and I really enjoy woodworking. My next leatherworking project is a possible bag. I am looking forward to talking with folks here and sharing ideals and swapping stories. Oh and there is anyone on here that served in the military in Germany from 1980 - 1984 I was a member of the Heidelberg Rod And Gun club and attended many of the mountain man rendezvous there swapping lies oh sorry I meant stories and was actually pretty good with Plains .30 cal and my tomahawk.
Welcome to Virginia! I’m from Highland County, build and restore flintlocks, horns etc. Great hunting out here, a veteran and active with other living history minded folks.

Velcomen from Maryland. I did a little time on the Czech border (Hoenfells) in 76 with 2/58 Inf, 2nd AD running a TOW missile squad. (Pointy end of the spear and all that) the only shooting I did in Germany (outside army stuff) was with some Yugoslavian civilian contractor shooting a Nazi marked Walther at an old door behind his billets after a night of too much Schnops and Beer.
I remember stumbling back to my barracks and the two MP jweps ripping up the street on their way to where the shooting was going on, lol
Ahhh, to be young and stupid again!

Greetings from East Texas (Piney Woods), and Heidelberg, Germany. I lived in Heidelberg for 10 years, across the Neckar, straight in front of the castle. Lived on the 3rd (top) floor of one of those ancient, beautiful mansions. The castle was at the foot of my bed (picture window) every night. As I recall castle lights went off at midnight. It was a good time, to say the least. Attended a couple Rod And Gun Club shoots, but never participated. I had just purchased my first Jim Chambers kit. It was a bit much for me at the time. Total time over-seas: minus USMC 25 years. Heidelberg was special.
I was just there with my family last November
KIMG0422.JPG

Welcome to Virginia! I’m from Highland County, build and restore flintlocks, horns etc. Great hunting out here, a veteran and active with other living history minded folks.
Thanks and I may need to follow up with you on the horns.

Velcomen from Maryland. I did a little time on the Czech border (Hoenfells) in 76 with 2/58 Inf, 2nd AD running a TOW missile squad. (Pointy end of the spear and all that) the only shooting I did in Germany (outside army stuff) was with some Yugoslavian civilian contractor shooting a Nazi marked Walther at an old door behind his billets after a night of too much Schnops and Beer.
I remember stumbling back to my barracks and the two MP jweps ripping up the street on their way to where the shooting was going on, lol
Ahhh, to be young and stupid again!
Thanks for the Welcome and that was a great story. I spent a lot of time in the field at Darmstadt and Baumholder. I was with the 1st Combat Communications Group (1st Comm) stationed at Lindsey Air Station in downtown Wiesbaden. All together I was in the European Theater for 17.5 years out of the 21 I served. I loved it over there in the 80's and 90's and got to see every NATO country and a lot of the the Middle east and Northern Africa back then.

still as pretty as ever
My Mrs is a huge fan of the Kringle fests and we hit several during our trip this time. We also took the cable car to the top of the Zuchspitz and had Thanksgiving dinner in the sky resteuraunt . Great trip!
KIMG0297.JPG

Attachments

• 2DFB230D-4C75-4E2C-ACCB-B7B09B5B2842.jpeg
    2DFB230D-4C75-4E2C-ACCB-B7B09B5B2842.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 72
Back