• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from the New Guy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been a long time since I've been the new guy anywhere. I've got a long and not so distinguished career as a black powder shooter (both revolver & rifle) My first black powder experience was a repro 1847 Dragoon closely followed by a kit built Hawken (repro) CVA back in the early '70s shortly after I was discharged from the USMC. For all practical purposes I stopped shooting & hunting after I moved away from Montana in the early '80s. Have managed to replace all my modern long guns including some truly collectable Winchester '94s (more than 100 years old) and some long barreled Colt's Pythons. Now working on reacquiring a black powder Hawken rifle (shooter not a wall hanger) So far it's proved impossible to find any affordable new Hawken's rifles. (repro) - any advice is appreciated. Same can be said for percussion caps which have become unobtanium. (From any of the usual (in the past) sources. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.
Otto

Semper Fi

You might want to check pawn and buy/sell shops. You may not find a half-stock plains rifle now, but maybe around Thanksgiving and Black Friday, folks may dump an old traditional sidelock rifle to get cash for Christmas, etc. Might not be in time for hunting season though.

IF you strike out this year perhaps try next April as folks again dump stuff, to pay taxes. ;) April has always been good to me for bargain muzzleloaders.

OH and if you find what would otherwise be a serviceable piece, but the bore is roached from poor care, see if you can get it for a low price due to the bore, then check back with us as we have a guy or two who can convert it into a "smooth rifle" (generally good for deer to 50 yards AND good for rabbits and squirrels and such by using shot) OR get it re-rifled and be good to go.

LD

So far it's proved impossible to find any affordable new Hawken's rifles. (repro) - any advice is appreciated. Same can be said for percussion caps which have become unobtanium.

Midway USA has Traditions Hawken rifles for $499:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015809435?pid=690374
Pistol percussion caps have been impossible to find from commercial sources for about 2 years now. There have been posts recently about some Walmarts starting to carry #11 caps. Cabela's/Bass Pro started carrying Remington #10s about a month ago but quickly pulled them from their web site. My local store had 10 tins in stock when I went and checked.

Beware when shopping for caps online - there are lots of scam sites out there. If they do not accept credit cards and only want Zelle or Venmo or other no-recourse payment options, run away.

Ah ha, just took delivery on a .54 cal repro Investarms Hawken rifle. Feels good in hand & all I need now is some percussion caps. Looking for advice regarding the set trigger. The rear trigger doesn't move. There's a little screw just forward of the trigger which I presume is for adjustment of the set trigger tension. Should I play with it?
Otto

Ah ha, just took delivery on a .54 cal repro Investarms Hawken rifle. Feels good in hand & all I need now is some percussion caps. Looking for advice regarding the set trigger. The rear trigger doesn't move. There's a little screw just forward of the trigger which I presume is for adjustment of the set trigger tension. Should I play with it?
Otto
Welcome from Central Texas! Post your questions to the guys on the Percussion Rifle forum. Guaranteed you'll get several answers.

Back