• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from the Netherlands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch Mosin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all.
I found this forum yesterday and decided to join.
I'm not unfamiliar with BP weapons(I own and shoot a Swiss Vetterli and a Dutch Beaumont rifle)but muzzle loaders are completely new to me.
I always wanted to own and shoot a single shot percussion pistol and just recently decided to start looking for info on the subject.
Our gun law allows us to own BP weapons without a license as long as they are pre 1945 and BP only.
That means that I can't buy one of those beautiful replicas or it has to be a replica built before 1945.
Well...that's not entirely true.
I can buy a replica, but this weapon would need a so called shooters license.
I own such a license, but it has a max of 5 (five) firearms and you already guessed it.......my license is full.
So, it's either an original or a pre 1945 replica.
The search is on.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Welcome to the forum. I made a number of trips to your country, doing some project startup management for an IBM tape coating facility, subcontracted to a company (Philips/Dupont, PD Magnetics) in Oosterhout. The Netherlands is one of my favorite countries that I have visited. We usually stayed in Breda and drank a lot of your beer in the evenings. :grin: Again, welcome! :hatsoff:

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your plight; there probably aren't too many replicas made prior to 1945 and so you are limited to originals. I am familiar with some of the rifles you own as I have a Beaumont and a few Vetterlis.

Welcome. You'll find a wealth of knowledgeable folks here. So have a seat, fill yer tin cup as the coffees jest finished boiling.

Welcome to the MLF Martin! Glad you found us and you will find there are lots of friendly knowlegable folks with a lifetime of experience to share. Pull up a stump and join us at the fire.

Welcome! Check the For Sale section, occasionally an oldie pops up. In the mean time, ENJOY! :wink:

Thanks for all your replies...and even one in Dutch !!!!! WOW.
I'll just start reading the posts and try to gather as much info on single shot percussion pistols as I can.
I think I'm going to like this place.
Thanks for the tip CaptainKirk.
I'll check the For Sale Forum regularly.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

hello and welcome, martin,

you should also check this auction site as they have both originals and replicas for sale.

www. gunbroker .com
look in the "Home : Top > Firearms (Collectible)" section

if you ever come to san francisco, california, look me up and we'll go shooting BP.

~daniel~ :hatsoff:

Thanks for the link Daniel.

I promised myself to visit the US at least once in my life.
I'll let you know when I fly over.
Would be great to meet and shoot some BP.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Glad you fond your way here . Another auction site to check out is (auctionarms)They have about 50 BP hand guns up for auction most of the time . They do , at times have originals . Have you considered a flintlock ? Are the regulations the same for flintlocks as percussion guns ?
Only been to Amsterdam and Harlem and that was about 1956 , great country and friendly folks . :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply gordy.
I will check that auction site too.
To answer your question: Yes, I have considered a flint lock, but like I wrote before, muzzle loading is completely new to me.
Percussion seems to be easier to learn.
I just have too little info on the subject to decide now.
Rules are the same for both percussion and flint lock.

Amsterdam and Haarlem have changed a lot since 1956.......but Holland is still a great country with lots of friendly folks living here. :grin:

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Thanks for the info Daniel.
I already bought two books on the subject.
One is an encyclopedia so I can see what was manufactured through the years, the other is a more technical book.
I think I'll start reading and if i have any questions I'll return here.

SDC11291.jpg

SDC11290.jpg

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Thanks for your reply Bill.
The Vetterli was my first BP rifle.
A couple of years ago bought the Beaumont from a good friend in the US.
Beaumont rifles are rare over here and the price is accordingly.
You can imagine how happy I was when this Beaumont was offered to me.
Every now and then I take either the Vetterli or the Beaumont to the range.
Especially the Beaumont draws a crowed, even though it is Dutch.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Martin, Wished I had my limit of firearms and then i would quit looking. Here is another site you might try www.micksguns.com , he has every kind and discription of gun and anything else you might need. Good luck in your search. jake2255

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back