• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Southernmost Illinois

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Southernmost Illinois (6.5 hours South of Chicago)
Been at this since the 70's and still going.

Wife and I were field reps for the NMLRA for several years and I am a member of the AMM hosting several AMM rendezvous at our property including the Eastern AMM National. My wife and I ran a BP supply company for a number of years an also made primitive tents (Tipis, etc and the real Lean Pee, my wife's design as Shawnee Trading Post/ Terrapin Ridge Lean to and Tipi Co.) for a number of years. I was deeply involved in the Hawken rifle through Art Russel (Hawken shop, St Louis) and John Baird, Buckskin Report as well as Oren Scurlock, Book of Buckskinning and Muzzle Loader magazine, Doc Carlson, T.K Dawson and others back in the day. I was privileged to be able to dissemble and measure all the Hawken's in Dr. Leonard's collection when they were at the Cody Museum years ago and found something no one had found before. One of Dr. Lenoard's rifles (half stock cap lock) had a formed cow horn nose cap. I also handled the Medina rifle. (I am 71 yo)

Wife and I spent a good bunch of time with the Tennessee Long Hunters out of Nashville TN and the Trade Water Party of the AMM during which time I moved from Western Hawken stuff to the Eastern Long Hunter/Revolutionary war "Over the Mountain" type stuff which is really my family history.

I have taken to building pre and Rev war flint guns as well as those flint guns of the E. TN and SMR style along with some bags. My wife's people were in the Shenandoah Valley as early immigrants while my family dates to the mid 1600's in NE New Jersey. (Holland Dutch)

Today, when I shoot, its mostly flinter stuff.

OK so I have been at this a while..... I love it and want to keep shooting. If I can be of any help here please do not hesitate to ask. I may not have an answer but I may have some thoughts......

Just an old guy (buck skinner) talking.

Welcome to our forum my friend! We are honored to have ya aboard.

I noticed two things we have in common?
1. My mother’s side of the family are all from Southern Illinois. Hardin County, Rosiclare IL.

2. Fathers side, and where I was raised is Cody Wyoming. Both parents still reside there.

Anyway, I’m also a student of the Hawken Rifle. Love everything about that specific rifle!!

Lastly, We definitely look forward to hearing more from you my friend!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy:

I am in Johnson County just North of Vienna.
Yes, I’m about 3 hours north of you.

I’m also a member of NMLRA. Don&Susie Hulvey are Illinois reps. I shoot with them on a regular basis. Also make the trip to Friendship annually as well.

Anyway, we’re glad to have ya aboard and definitely look forward to hearing more from you in the very near future my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Back