• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from southern Indiana

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings!

It has been many years since I have shot black powder. I started in the early 80’s during high school when we lived in southeast Missouri. My folks had gotten me a 45 Kentucky pistol kit because my buddy was shooting BP and I wanted to get involved in it. I believe it was a CVA. I built and finished it myself. I really enjoyed shooting that thing! A neat thing about that pistol, when I was working on it, my older brothers buddy asked if he could take the stock home and check it over….well, when brought it back he had carved a couple of flourishes and my initials on the side. I didn’t know he was a woodcarver! Wish I would not have let it go a some years later.

I shot with some local fellas and my high school buddy for a few years. We shot several guns, flint and cap pistols and long guns, along with some revolvers. The older gents had no problem with letting us youngster shoot their guns. It was a lot of fun and a lot of learning.

So, I am looking at getting back into BP shooting. I would like to enjoy some hunting and paper punching along with the general history and fun of it all again.

I always wanted to build a 32 squirrel rifle. I am amazed at how expensive the kits are compared to my earlier time shooting. So, for now, I have been looking around for a used rifle locally. Hope to find something soon.

Glad I found the forum!

watch our classifieds, one will show up. Kits these days are mostly upper end compared to the old CVA or traditions we grew up with and cost mucho more. The quality is better but some cant afford it. Welcome to the forum

My Dad bought me a CVA Kentucky rifle kit for Christmas in 1979. I had seen it at the hardware store and it had a $99.99 price tag.
That's how I got started in black powder.

I just used google to search, a Ford truck cost $5500 then, so I guess everything has gone up.

Welcome to the forum; I bought my Early Lancaster kit like Johnny Cash' song.. one piece at a time... you might consider trying that.
Again, howdy neighbor from Texas, yall.

Hello and welcome from Maryland. You're right about squirrel rifles, finished or kits, running for mucho dinero. Best wishes finding what you're looking for.

My Dad bought me a CVA Kentucky rifle kit for Christmas in 1979. I had seen it at the hardware store and it had a $99.99 price tag.
That's how I got started in black powder.

I just used google to search, a Ford truck cost $5500 then, so I guess everything has gone up.

Welcome to the forum; I bought my Early Lancaster kit like Johnny Cash' song.. one piece at a time... you might consider trying that.
Again, howdy neighbor from Texas, yall.

I got started just a couple of years after you.
I will look into piecing one together. I have been checking the local pawn shops for some pre-owned guns for restoring, too.
Thanks for the on the level advice.

Welcome back! You should be a short drive from the NMLRA range in Friendship IN.

Yep, Friendship is about an hour and fifteen minutes away. Just found out about the range and organization a few weeks ago.

Welcome from Arizona. Where in Indiana are you located. I have family in Borden.

I am about 20 miles east of Borden. We go to Deam lake and Clark Forest quite a bit. I even went to the Borden library during the summer because they had a 22 rifle accuracy book I wanted to read.

Latest posts

Back