• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from NYS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thank you for letting join up on a fantastic site!! Been into the old war rifles for the last few years. My recent score is an 1863 Springfield Type 2 which gently and carefully brought her back from the neglected. Shoots real fine too and love shooting black powder!! And now joins my other War Time rifles. Next up will be looking to find a Brown Bess or Kentucky Long Gun. But not before I chase down a particular 1865 Spencer Lever Rifle that I have been working on to get for the past few months. Anyway again thanks for having me!! Posted up a few pics

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 12.09.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 12.09.26 PM.png
    956.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Shooting Carbine Flame.jpg
    Shooting Carbine Flame.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 90
RicM, If you're interested in BP Shoots in Ulster Co., Vinnie Bernstein is the guy you want to write to: [email protected]
Also, although it's short notice, I just got the following email from him:

The Saugerties Fish & Game club will host a black powder shoot on Sunday ,May 2 at the Club grounds on Fish Creek Rd. The shoot will start at approx 1000, it will be a woods walk - blanket shoot. Hope to see you there.

Hope this helps you out.

Welcome, I'm from the Middletown area in Orange county. Some nice rifle but watch on here we only talk about traditional muzzleloaders even in-line muzzleloaders are not allowed.

Hello I’m in Putnam County NY with family in Orange County near PA, grown up in Rockland County. Retired law enforcement, I wasn’t aware an original 1863 Springfield isn’t considered a traditional muzzleloader here. You got me on that🤔 Also saw other posts talking about 45-70s and mentioned of Trapdoors. I didnt mean to ruffle some just on an intro and posting some of the other rifles I have, as my interests is now on Muskets and early American rifles. Maybe I’m just on the wrong site. —Later

Last edited:
Hello I’m in Putnam County NY with family in Orange County near PA, grown up in Rockland County. Retired law enforcement, I wasn’t aware an original 1863 Springfield isn’t considered a traditional muzzleloader here. You got me on that🤔 Also saw other posts talking about 45-70s and mentioned of Trapdoors. I didnt mean to ruffle some just on an intro and posting some of the other rifles I have, as my interests is now on Muskets and early American rifles. Maybe I’m just on the wrong site. —Later
ya I ment the other guns, front stuffers are so good to talk about except in-lines. I am next to PA in Greenville.

I understand thanks. Wow!! My son and his wife live in Greenville!! Small world it is. His wife’s family name is Ewanciw.
Welcome to the forum.

Talking about an 1863 rifled musket is totally acceptable on the forum. (Both the Springfield and the Remington Zouave).
We can also talk about breech loading guns that do not use a self contained cartridge. For instance, several single shots were breech loading but they used a separate primer that was not a part of the cartridge.
The breech loaders we can't talk about are the ones that used a cartridge that had the bullet, powder and primer all in the same case such as the Spencer.

As for other things we don't talk about, modern in-line guns are not permitted. Also bullets that have copper jackets or are used in sabots or plastic parts are off limits.

Any other muzzleloader or solid lead bullets are OK.

Back