• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from NY. I'm a leathercrafter, hunter that wants to built my own musket.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum. Is Killawog in Chenango Co? I was there once and the name stuck with me.

Hey adk bigfoot, I'm guessing you and I are neighbors, as well as adkmtnken.

Welcome to the forum. Is Killawog in Chenango Co? I was there once and the name stuck with me.

Hey adk bigfoot, I'm guessing you and I are neighbors, as well as adkmtnken.
Hey neighbor, lol. Yes it is, Killawog is in Broome county which is about an hour give a take a bit to Norwich.

welcome from The Old Line State of Maryland, home of A. Verner!

you'll learn a ton here, & there's lots of help if you ask

Hey all, I here just wanting to learn the great and traditional sport of muzzleloading, I have this dream of building my very own musket from scratch someday, hopefully I can raise the money with my craft, anyway lets get back on track, My name is Johnny and I would like to thank you all in advance in helping me build my dream musket. Thank you
Hi can you make sheaths for tomahawks and knives?

Dan

Hi can you make sheaths for tomahawks and knives?

Dan
Hey Dan, thank you for your interest but to tell you the true, I never made a tomahawk or knife sheaths, I mostly make pouches, haversacks, bags, belts, hat band, holsters, slings, almost anything other then sheaths, but again thanks for the interest and I keep you in mind if I ever make one.

They will definitely draw you in. Scads of info. I’ve been shooting traditional muzzleloaders off and on for over 40 years and still picking up tidbits here and there.

I built a full stock Tennessee rifle in college, using only hand tools and a forge I built on my dorm's balcony.
The primary resource I used was Foxfire Volume 5, https://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Iron...ild=1&keywords=foxfire&qid=1591414227&sr=8-10
Building from scratch can describe a lot of different approaches. Unless you wand to go hard core, and make it from lumps of iron ore, it is probably a good idea to list out what parts you are prepared to make, which you might buy semi-finished, and what parts you will buy ready to use.

I built a full stock Tennessee rifle in college, using only hand tools and a forge I built on my dorm's balcony.
The primary resource I used was Foxfire Volume 5, https://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Iron...ild=1&keywords=foxfire&qid=1591414227&sr=8-10
Building from scratch can describe a lot of different approaches. Unless you wand to go hard core, and make it from lumps of iron ore, it is probably a good idea to list out what parts you are prepared to make, which you might buy semi-finished, and what parts you will buy ready to use.
Wow thats cool, I'll look into it the book, looks good. lets see, my plans is to rasp out the stock, make the barrel out of DOM steel, either sand cast the trigger guard or hammer it out, not sure yet, and I would like to try my hands on cutting out and hand filing the lock, if that fails then I'll buy one, I have seen a few youtube videos on making your own BP muskets and I am pretty good with my hands, I just need to take the dive and experiment and see how it comes out, I have lots of hand tools I used to be a jeweler, so thinking filing steel should be the same just a little harder. Thank you for the reference.

Its already starting to show up in the early special election in Wisconsin and even in California.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ouse-district-7-special-general-election.html
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...use-district-25-special-general-election.html
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/go...ia-election-as-results-wont-be-final-for-days
What I can;t understand is after all the antics by Democrats, the obvious fact that they will even go to the length of destroying the country to gain control, is who on earth would vote for them? There have to be a lot of seriously brain dead hateful people out there. How can anyone even stand to have a known Democrat anywhere near them or their families? It has become crystal clear that as a group they are completely morally deficient.
Wow thats cool, I'll look into it the book, looks good. lets see, my plans is to rasp out the stock, make the barrel out of DOM steel, either sand cast the trigger guard or hammer it out, not sure yet, and I would like to try my hands on cutting out and hand filing the lock, if that fails then I'll buy one, I have seen a few youtube videos on making your own BP muskets and I am pretty good with my hands, I just need to take the dive and experiment and see how it comes out, I have lots of hand tools I used to be a jeweler, so thinking filing steel should be the same just a little harder. Thank you for the reference.

You’ve got ambition. I’m interested in something like that but life never seems to allow the time. I’ve always been the sort that has to get it done when I start something. It would drive me nuts to take a year to finish a project like that. But the satisfaction involved at the end..... Priceless.

You’ve got ambition. I’m interested in something like that but life never seems to allow the time. I’ve always been the sort that has to get it done when I start something. It would drive me nuts to take a year to finish a project like that. But the satisfaction involved at the end..... Priceless.
Yeah it is pretty ambitious, but I have to try, even if it comes out looking like something from MadMax thunderdome, just as long its safe to shoot I can at least say I did it, then from there I make another one using what I learned.

welcome from southeast Vermont! There are a bunch of different level of "making your own - all the way from felling a likely looking tree for the stock to something which requires a few screwdrivers to assemble, and some secret goop to finish. most of us probably fall in the middle, as do I. If you get a "kit" from Track of the Wolf or Pecatonica, remember that these aren't "kits" like the model airplanes we built as kids - more on the order of "parts collection. If you want something more finished, look at Kibler (here's a link)

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/
these are fantastic looking rifles, they have great parts, and i'm saving my soda can money to buy on of his Southern Mountain rifles.

in any event, you've come to the right place for a boatload of information and support. make some wood shavings on the floor, then

Make Good Smoke :)

welcome from southeast Vermont! There are a bunch of different level of "making your own - all the way from felling a likely looking tree for the stock to something which requires a few screwdrivers to assemble, and some secret goop to finish. most of us probably fall in the middle, as do I. If you get a "kit" from Track of the Wolf or Pecatonica, remember that these aren't "kits" like the model airplanes we built as kids - more on the order of "parts collection. If you want something more finished, look at Kibler (here's a link)

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/
these are fantastic looking rifles, they have great parts, and i'm saving my soda can money to buy on of his Southern Mountain rifles.

in any event, you've come to the right place for a boatload of information and support. make some wood shavings on the floor, then

Make Good Smoke :)
Thank you, I have looked into getting a kit just to get my feet wet and learn how to put parts where they belong, yeah Im sure its nothing like making a model airplane but it should be very interesting never the less. The website is awesome thanks for the link.

I would also encourage you to buy and read (several times over) Peter Alexander's book The Gunsmith of Grenville County, which is available from Track of the Wolf … here's a link:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/303/1/BOOK-GGC
it's a bit pricey, but this book will more than save you the purchase price in parts you don't ruin … not counting time you don't waste wait for the replacement part, and time you don't spend in purgatory as a result of the bad language you don't use 'cause you didn't make the 'rookie mistake' and ruin the part in the first place.

More thoughts:

since you already make things, I'll not go on my usual rant, but just mention that you should be able to get any cutting tool neurosurgery sharp... stropping: a powerful force of nature … I use the 'scary sharp method' (with wet/dry sand paper and a glass plate … do what works best for you ...

and you probably already know this, but avoid buying 'sets' of tools (chisels seem especially susceptible to this phenomenon) … instead, buy the tools you need and get the very best single you can … this way, you don't buy five tools and use maybe two.

Make Good Smoke!

Latest posts

Back