• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Nottingham in the UK.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNKS

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi a newby to muzzle loading although I have been loading 12g black powder for clay shooting for quite a while. Black is not used much now in the UK most clay grounds ban it because of the noise and smoke! "Which is why I shoot it!"
My son has just bought me a lovely old"1840"ish English 16g double. Got to get the Damascus barrels checked over but they seem OK Even black powder is difficult to come by. No-one will post it and special courier is very expensive. I have a 150 mile drive to get any.
Will be asking questions on loads soon but have almost decided on a square load of 60grains to 25 grams. Should do the trick.

No-where to hunt I am afraid and I dont do driven. So usually just the clays. I do enjoy a days decoying or roost shooting.

Welcome from Kansas. I have been using a Manton 15 ga. percussion double for a while. The square load of 2 1/2 drams of powder and an ounce of shot works well on clays. I like using the 777 or Pyrodex instead of black powder in the original guns because it cleans easier. Using the old Birmingham and London originals is a treat.

Hi .Thanks I have read that the original loads were seven eights of an oz of lead. . and a square load. Manton, that's real posh, hang onto it!

Welcome from Kansas. I have been using a Manton 15 ga. percussion double for a while. The square load of 2 1/2 drams of powder and an ounce of shot works well on clays. I like using the 777 or Pyrodex instead of black powder in the original guns because it cleans easier. Using the old Birmingham and London originals is a treat.
Yes that is a volume load for a 15 bore and also a 16 bore which is good for both clays and decoy work for crows and pigeons . Stick with the originals although are old they are still the best better than those repros
Feltwad
100_2542.JPG

Last edited:
Hi a newby to muzzle loading although I have been loading 12g black powder for clay shooting for quite a while. Black is not used much now in the UK most clay grounds ban it because of the noise and smoke! "Which is why I shoot it!"
My son has just bought me a lovely old"1840"ish English 16g double. Got to get the Damascus barrels checked over but they seem OK Even black powder is difficult to come by. No-one will post it and special courier is very expensive. I have a 150 mile drive to get any.
Will be asking questions on loads soon but have almost decided on a square load of 60grains to 25 grams. Should do the trick.
Pete Starley will post you powder. He’s in Warwick. Welcome from sunny Sussex, by the way.

Spent some times in England and Scotland about 56 years ago. Very beautiful countries and lovely people. Wish I could come again. Welcome to the forum. Polecat

Welcome Dunks.
Ex Yorkshire here.
Your square load will work, but pattern it and see.
Some of mine shot very well, (still do ) with 2 1/4 drams and an ounce of shot. V nice patterns and good for ducks when we could use lead shot.

Back