• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Northern Ireland

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feltwad, when I was living in Leeds, the only people we called geordies were all from Newcastle. Is that term used for other areas of the borders?
Yes you are correct the true Geordie come from a certain area of Newcastle
Feltwad

Wie Eye Marra ! . Geordie speak, Not sure what it means, Can only just manage broad Yorkshire & I was born there . I did manage to pick up a working grasp of ' Strine ' while I was working in West Australia you change all' E',s into' I',s, ten cents equates to' tin cints ' and wear a peg on your nose which useualy gets you by , ( Wonder if Heelerau will ever talk to me again ?). Mind you I do have some diffoogalty with US southern accents but I had a course at the L&R School of elequetion ." Wayyl ,Cayaandy, You done no sheeeet.! .
Yes I remember such useful phrases . Incidently Bill Cox told me L&R stands for' Loose & Rusty '. I once visited Mr Rice as I wanted locks but by the time I found his place it was getting dark he greeted me from behind a screen holding a pistol so I offered my appologies & left to make camp & went back next day . On the same mission I once called on Bud Siler he was having a barbeque but took time to sell me some locks .
Thought I 'de better put some gun related bit to the above jocular observations .
Regards & welcome to Brer Robert from NI, Rudyard

Welcome! It's neat to hear of BP enthusiasts from over the seas.

I didn't know that you couldnt shoot BP in the south of Ireland. Interesting.

My family is from Fermanagh and Galway counties so I guess I've got the best of both Irish "world's"!

T
In 1993 the Ulster Rifle Association and I hosted three officials from the Republics Department of Justice to a range session on our facility just outside Belfast. The aim was to help our Southere colleagues who had to travel north to shoot target rifle and pistol. Did everything from a Walker repro to rifles, smoothies, cartridge rifles and pistols, reloading etc. At that stage the only firearms permitted in the Republic were shotguns and rifles. The only Calibre of rifle permitted was .22 and that included deer stalkers! Not even air pistols! They left saying they had enjoyed themselves and would recommend a review of the situation. Guess what happened ? Yep.
Things might change now. I think they now allow .22 pistols for some and the Calibre has gone up a bit. One our assistant chief constables has gone south as the new commissioner of the Garda ( police ) so he might take some sensible views on shooting down with him. I’ll probably be long dead before there is a all island interprovincial muzzle loading championship. BTW do you know the worlds first international shooting competition was held in Ireland just outside Dublin when we challenged the new NRA ?

Robert welcome from Arkansas here in the USSA. Glad you can have and use MLrs. Can't believe the Republic won't allow them, maybe they just won't let them in from the North because of troubles. Even England used to let colonized folks have a long gun ML for hunting and restricted more modern stuff to keep everybody from getting ideas. Hope everybody in Ireland the best, God knows they've been through it. Hope you can find lots of good advice and friendship here, keep us informed on ML news in the Isle, George.
Been using them for years. My first long gun was a muzzle loading Enfield. Still have it and shoot it. The RUC always took the view that if you were granted a firearms certificate you were a good guy/girl and usually gave you what you wanted. They also issued explosive certificates free and on request to you in buy the black powder Once you had your FAC. I remember being in Belfast at the height of the troubles, calling in to the explosives office and getting a cup of tea while I dictated what I wanted to the officer as he typed it on the licence. He then signed it and I walked out after half an hour talking about MLers. Happy days ( shooting wise ). When Intold my friends down south they just wouldn’t believe me !!

Welcome fro North Carolina, was in Ireland last year in April, beautiful country and friendly people. Look forward to visiting again soon.
Did you visit Northern Ireland or stay in the Republic ? We have some nice scenery as well.

Welcome I am from the North Uk we are often referred too has a { Geordie} Do you go to the Irish Game and Country Fair wondered if it is held this year.
Feltwad
Think the C19 has cancelled everything. I know the guy who organises the Game fairs. I’ll ask but not much hope of anything at the moment. I can’t even go sailing in case I have to call the coastguard or RAF for help !

Robert, welcome to the forum. I was born in NI and my family is also Ulster Scot. Now living in Southern CA, a long way from the Green Glens of Antrim.

Robert, welcome to the forum. I was born in NI and my family is also Ulster Scot. Now living in Southern CA, a long way from the Green Glens of Antrim.
Thank you. Strangely enough, the boss informed me last night that,because the weather forecast was so good, we were going on a day trip to the lower Glens today. If the weather holds we should get some spectacular views across the North Channel to Scotland.

And ever since visiting the south I refuse to drink Guinness unless I have both feet on Irish soil!
I wish I could be that strong. Not a week goes by without a pint or three of the black stuff even though what we get over here in the states is subpar. Guinness is like scotch and champagne, if it's not made in it's home country, in this case at St. James gate, it's not real Guinness!
The London made Guinness make me a fan, the Dublin Guinness made me an addict, the stuff I get here in the US simply keeps me sane.

Welcome from the DFW area of Texas. Robertirvine mentioned C19. The coronavirus or covid19 has shut down a lot of the whole world. It's truly a pandemic. I am currently bedridden in a nursing home, but when I go home, I definitely wear a mask and full face shield before I go in any business!

Take care. The brother of my longest known and best shooting friends died from C19 about six weeks ago. No underlying conditions. A fit and healthy man who was working six days a week up until he felt ill. We closed the range down for 10 weeks and have just now partially opened for limited shooting. Best wishes to you for a full recovery.

Back