• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Northeastern IL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chgowiz

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Michael - aka Chgowiz around various forums and blogs. I live near the Gurnee area, north of Chicago.

I was recently given a Traditions Kentucky rifle - rusted all over and hasn't been shot in ages, if ever. It's a restoration project for myself and my daughter.

I'm handy enough with tools, wrenched on a stock car for a few years, do quite a bit of modeling (wargaming metal figures and plastic models) and a bit of woodwork. No expert by any means, always learning.

I'm here to read up on what I need to do to restore this old cap/ball rifle to service and see if I can make it into a shooter/hunter, as well as learn/enjoy what I've been given.

Attachments

• PXL_20211113_152055343.jpg
    PXL_20211113_152055343.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20211113_152017516.jpg
    PXL_20211113_152017516.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20211113_152217663.jpg
    PXL_20211113_152217663.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Welcome and good luck with your project. I really like the fact that your daughter is to be involved. Let her get her hands dirty but wear eye protection! I didn't and was lucky.
John

I have that exact rifle! Only in good condition. I bought it as a kit about 1974. I hunted with it until 3 seasons ago, when I moved up to a .50 CL Hawken style. The Kentucky is a .45 and dead accurate. Enjoy the project.

Hi, I'm Michael - aka Chgowiz around various forums and blogs. I live near the Gurnee area, north of Chicago.

I was recently given a Traditions Kentucky rifle - rusted all over and hasn't been shot in ages, if ever. It's a restoration project for myself and my daughter.

I'm handy enough with tools, wrenched on a stock car for a few years, do quite a bit of modeling (wargaming metal figures and plastic models) and a bit of woodwork. No expert by any means, always learning.

I'm here to read up on what I need to do to restore this old cap/ball rifle to service and see if I can make it into a shooter/hunter, as well as learn/enjoy what I've been given.
Welcome, I’ve seen sicker cats than that get well. Be patient, do one part/operation let it sit. Dig in again.

I have that exact rifle! Only in good condition. I bought it as a kit about 1974. I hunted with it until 3 seasons ago, when I moved up to a .50 CL Hawken style. The Kentucky is a .45 and dead accurate. Enjoy the project.

Thank you, we are looking forward to it, once I'm done with deer hunting in November.

The barrel on mine says 50cal, I guess there were different calibers of the kit sold?

Welcome from a former stock car guy. Did that when I was living in Florida. Keep us posted on your rifle. Brian

I will, I have started a project thread over in the percussion forum.

What did you race? Were you in any series or just local tracks?

Welcome, I’ve seen sicker cats than that get well. Be patient, do one part/operation let it sit. Dig in again.

Thanks for the advice, that's how I usually operate when restoring/repairing. Rushing just means I'll end up doing it again.

Latest posts

Back