• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from North Britain.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Vermont, the Green Mountain State. Many years ago two friends and I did a 17-day bicycle tour from Glasgow northward (Loch Lomond, Edinburgh, Inverness, Ben Nevis, Oban, Pitlochry, Cromarty Firth, Aviemore, Carbisdale Castle, Fortrose... [not necessarily in that order, of course]). It has been a source of delightful memories for fifty years.
Eric Bye

Another welcome from New England (New Hampshire). My wife is from Wales and we did a few road trips years ago up to Scotland. Beautiful area.

I am from NEW ENGLAND and it has ben a time sense I have heard a deer called a ROE BUCK. I have allays called them that. I used to hang around with the old hunters back in the 1950,s and that is how that they referred to he DEER, and I picked it up. and when I use that term people Shure give me a queer look. any one else call them that, and why.? just curious.
The roe deer are their own species across Europe. Quite unique in that they use delayed implantation!
The UK has roe deer, red deer, fallow deer, sika deer, muntjac and Chinese water deer.

Welcome. Great to see a new member from Scotland!

My brother in law was from London. He didn't trust anyone from north of Watford Gap and used to "warn" me of the dangers that lurked in northern cities like Manchester and Glasgow! Me, I enjoyed living in the north of Britain and particularly central Scotland. I'm still a devoted fan of fine whisky, thanks to the Scots!

Welcome from Bisley! My brother lives in Whitley Bay --- nearly Scotland but not quite.

Years ago I remember trying to expain to a cataloguer from a MAJOR American auction house that when a rifle maker put "N.B." after his name that it was NOT Canadian --- it meant "North Britain", and not "New Brusnwick". Sadly he was one of those cataloguers who must have been a descendant of Pontius Pilate who wrote on Jesus's notice on the crucufix "He was the King of the Jews" was criticised: the rabbis wanted "He SAID he was the King of the Jews". Pilate said "What I have written I have written."

Dear Toot. Roe are a small deer found in UK if no doubt other places. Buck isn't usually the term for male dear in UK or out here in NZ .Stags & Hind's being more usual .and Harts is another old term for a stag as in a plethora of Pubs called the' White Hart ' .William Dampier's ( explorer/pirate) ship was called the' Roebuck'.& he's early 18th c so the term must be once more currant .& Buck & Doe seem to be a carry over from earlier times probably depended on where the migrating colonists came from.

Then there's the old song that go's

"A keeper did a shooting go , And under his coat he carried his bow" Oh for the shoot of a merry little doe ,Among the leaves so green o"
Followed by
"The first Buck he went ore the plain, The Keeper fetched him back again , And where her has gone he will likley remain ,Among the Leaves so green o".
Its been along time since keepers carried bows under their coats so it might illustrate how terms change over the centuries .
Regards Rudyard

I have to own up, I would not dare put powder in my pieces. ---
So, I research and preserve but no bangs or smoke.

Welcome, Auldjin. I appreciate your focus on "research and preserve." I have a small weapons collection myself. The research is a cool part of it.

Photos are always enjoyed. A look-see at yours would be a :thumb: for all, if you'd like to share it someday. ~wiksmo

Welcome from Vermont, the Green Mountain State. Many years ago two friends and I did a 17-day bicycle tour from Glasgow northward (Loch Lomond, Edinburgh, Inverness, Ben Nevis, Oban, Pitlochry, Cromarty Firth, Aviemore, Carbisdale Castle, Fortrose... [not necessarily in that order, of course]). It has been a source of delightful memories for fifty years.
Eric Bye
If you are Thee Eric Bye your no 'Pilgrim' You are naturally up in the ' cannon' rankings . Welcome from this New Zealand resident .
Rudyard

Back