• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from New Jersey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melt beeswax and Crisco together in equal parts. Stand the bullets up in a shallow pan, fill pan with melted lube up to the bullet grooves. When it sets up, remove the bullets. The remaining lube can be melted again and reused.
KIMG1654.JPG

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for, I see that those are both readily available so thats a relief. I wasnt looking forward to finding tallow of mutton like another post said to use with beeswax haha one more question, can they just be put in a cigar box or something after? Or should they be separated in an egg crate type fashion?
I shot minie balls for years, similar lube, but found 100:yds shots not acceptable for accuracy. Switched to patched round ball and found all distances better accuracy. Good luck, if you are disappointed in performance, measure bore. TOTW has minkes in 3 different sizes. See which one works best. (1863 Bridesburg musket)

Greetings from the Lake George, NY area. Escaped here from Morristown/Mendham area in 1979, Never been back!
Used to shoot with Co K, 2nd NJ Cavalry of the N-SSA.

My lube was beeswax, crisco, lanolin (wool grease) and a secret ingredient that Co K would have me shot for sharing. Crisco in the base is touted as a miracle and a disaster. I usually used a little, as the commercial said, "a little dab will do ya."

ADK Bigfoot

Greetings from the Lake George, NY area. Escaped here from Morristown/Mendham area in 1979, Never been back!
Used to shoot with Co K, 2nd NJ Cavalry of the N-SSA.

My lube was beeswax, crisco, lanolin (wool grease) and a secret ingredient that Co K would have me shot for sharing. Crisco in the base is touted as a miracle and a disaster. I usually used a little, as the commercial said, "a little dab will do ya."

ADK Bigfoot
I still have family in NJ so occasionally I do go back to visit but I have this nagging feeling like they're going to notice I'm back and not let me leave! I did feel like I escaped when I left 12 yes ago.
Neil

No North Hudson in Weehawken.
My mom and dad got us out of the Dunkin Hill Projects when we were little. I think all that stuff is torn down now. It's weird, I have a huge family who all grew up in Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City etc and all our families moved out of the city. Now years later, my niece just bought a million dollar three story house in the heights. Parking still sucks though, lol.

My mom and dad got us out of the Dunkin Hill Projects when we were little. I think all that stuff is torn down now. It's weird, I have a huge family who all grew up in Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City etc and all our families moved out of the city. Now years later, my niece just bought a million dollar three story house in the heights. Parking still sucks though, lol.
I drove a truck for WT Cowan down near the end of Duncan Ave. years ago.

I've had an original m1861 Springfield for a few years and finally got it in working order. I haven't fired it yet since I have no experience with bp so I'm here to learn as much as I can before I take it out. So far I'm reading that most people prefer firing minie balls with about 50 grains of fffg as opposed to the ffg due to it burning cleaner, is this the general consensus here? I have 50 minie balls for when it's ready but need to lube them, anyone have suggestions for homemade lubes? Thanks!
welcome

Exit 7, you say? I'm in Jackson. Where do you go to shoot?
I actually haven't had it out yet, I used to duck hunt with my 870 but that was years ago. I think I'm gonna go to Colliers Mills to test it out though. Do you know any other good spots?

Latest posts

Back