• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from New Brighton, PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffsheyn

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy!

I've been making and shooting longbows since I was 9 years old. I am also a pre-Clinton Smith and Wesson adduct. Last weekend I met a buddy at the woods walk / rendezvous and got to shoot some flintlocks, and now I need my own. My buddy said I could probably find something that would float my boat in the classifieds in here.

He was correct I have found two that I'm fond of but don't know enough about either as a new shooter and new to the entire ML lifestyle. Anyone willing to offer some advice to a newbie.... here are the two I am fond of! I understand I will not be able to hunt with either in PA, which just means I will have to buy another for next years flintlock season.

FOR SALE .36 cal flintlock barn/poor boy rifle
FOR SALE Custom .40 Fullstock

Welcome from the Lehigh Valley. To offer help on a first flintlock we may need to know some stuff. Knowing what you want to hunt, a general style you're interested in, if you want "one gun to rule them all" or a stable of blackpowder guns would be helpful.

Hi and welcome from northern New Mexico! There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here that are eager to share their ideas. One thing that will help is to wrap your head around what you might want to do with a ML and then articulate that desire. The responses you get will be much more focused on helping you achieve whatever goal you have in mind. At least IMHO...

Hard to articulate what I want. Long term goal is to have a bunch of them. In the short term though I'm looking to scare the manure out of paper, cans, bottles, and maybe some ground hogs. Aesthetically speaking I like long rifles or more so full stock rifles.
Where Im struggling is figuring out if the rifle im looking at is quality or not! Nothing torques me more than poor quality.

Howdy!

I've been making and shooting longbows since I was 9 years old. I am also a pre-Clinton Smith and Wesson adduct. Last weekend I met a buddy at the woods walk / rendezvous and got to shoot some flintlocks, and now I need my own. My buddy said I could probably find something that would float my boat in the classifieds in here.

He was correct I have found two that I'm fond of but don't know enough about either as a new shooter and new to the entire ML lifestyle. Anyone willing to offer some advice to a newbie.... here are the two I am fond of! I understand I will not be able to hunt with either in PA, which just means I will have to buy another for next years flintlock season.

FOR SALE .36 cal flintlock barn/poor boy rifle
FOR SALE Custom .40 Fullstock
I just finished 2 long bows, both from flat boards, I tried to make from trees but didn't have much luck. The one bow is a flat and the other on the lines of an English long bow, both are around 45lb.s
. I know you want to hear about guns but I couldn't resist! LOL I'm from PA also and if you want to hunt deer you need at least a .45 cal., keep looking they are out there, I'd advise a .50 on up but the .45 will do it! Good luck!

Welcome, from NC! There are some very talented artisans on this forum, and I would hazard that most of the flintlocks, etc., for sale would be of good quality. If it is not, the seller will usually say so. Also, I don’t make them, but I enjoy shooting longbows. :)

‘Poet

Latest posts

Back