• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from NE PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nine7one

Proud 1851 Navy owner
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You would think that after a career as a police officer, even a SWAT team member, I would be pretty familiar with most weapons, but I just bought a Pietta 44 cal. 1851 Navy and it's all new to me. (I am having a ton of fun learning about it though!) The first thing we always did whenever we were issued a new weapon was learn how to field strip, and then completely disassemble the weapon, so as soon as I find my gun tools I'm going to take this sucker apart, and put it back together. Unless (seriously) anyone thinks it would be a bad idea for some reason. I already can't wait to get out on the range for the first time!

welcome aboard. if you do take it apart polish up the internals . [ there are many posts on this on here, will smooth up the action]
I'm stuck right now trying to get the wedge to slide out so I can access the cylinder, etc. I don't want to damage the finish so I've been pretty gentle with it. Oh, and the action is terrible, I think that's going to be job #1.

Welcome from Lancaster, PA.

Gunsmiths screwdriver set. Non marring plastic or other mallet. Gun cleaning pad to work on and corral flying small parts. Magnetic bowl for small parts. Set of punches. Cel phone for pics as you disassemble. A manual or exploded parts illustration of your gun. Your preferred lubes, cleaners and polishers. Cleaning tools and oil mops. Small files and stones.
I keep a couple of magnifiers on hand too. But my eyes have a lot of hard miles on them. Good lighting.

Glad to have you here.

Back