• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Manitoba

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokestack

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey there.

Long time shooter but new to the whole Muzzleloading thing.

I live in the middle of nowhere, Manitoba, Canada. I've been collecting historical firearms (Mostly WW1/WW2 stuff) for over a decade now, but just only got out of the realm of centerfire rifles to try something new.

I've recently purchased a Pedersoli P53 Enfield rifled musket and I'm currently in the process of gathering all the tools and accessories to safely shoot it. Hopefully I'll have that all together in the next week or so! Very excited to make some smoke and sling some lead down range. I like my long range shooting, so i'm curious just how far I can ring some steel with this old (but new) beauty.

Looking forward to be part of this community and learn as much as I can.

- Smokestack

Attachments

• wWi5Aly.jpg
    wWi5Aly.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hello, Smokestack, you have acquired one of the best guns used in the American Civil War, and it has superior sights to the Springfield guns. I have owned an 1853 Enfield and a Springfield 1863 repros. The Springfield stock fit me better, but I could shoot the Enfield better because of the sights. Good luck in your quest and keep on smokin'!

Welcome to the forum. :) I'm sure you can find out many things about shooting your Enfield here on the forum. Most of the information will be in the Percussion area but there's also some discussion about shooting rifled muskets like you have in the General Muzzleloading and shooting accessories section.

Thanks! The American Civil War was one of the main influences for purchasing the rifle, I've been playing a video game (War of Rights) that does a fantastic job representing the combat of the era, while providing incredible accuracy to the environment and uniforms of the soldiers involved. Through that I've been indulging in books to get my fill of the subject.

It didn't take much long after that to make the plunge and get myself behind the sights of one of the rifles used. Being Canadian, the P53 was relevant to local history as well, so it seemed like a perfect first choice to get involved. Knowing my habits however, it won't be long until I have a safe full of the staple rifles from both parties of the war.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the tips!

Back in the 1970's had a Pedersoli Harpers Ferry 58 cal. flint musket for flint deer season. Used a Lee target minnie that was a perfect fit in the bore. 80 gr. FF was all the skirt would stand . Any more FFG than that , would crack the skirt.
I put a peep sight on the barrel tang sighted in for 100 meters. Five inch groups were standard , and on occasion 3 inch was the welcome surprise.
The only hitch in the program was that there was a 12" rainbow in the trajectory @ 100 M. Once you mastered the "bow." , it was deadly on deer. The minnie made a distinct whistle and an audible "slap" noise when it connected. What fun!!!!

Latest posts

Back