• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Lynchburg VA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New guy from Lynchburg VA.
I've been doing medieval recreation for decades. I've been thinking about getting into Revolutionary War recreation for a few years now as well. I do a fair amount of shooting modern firearms and even own a black powder flintlock pistol (but haven't gotten my hands on black powder to fire it). I've been casually looking for a Charleville for a couple years (for shooting, and for recreation).
At some point I'm hoping to get to shoot a black powder firearm as it would be better to shoot a few before buying one, but I don't always do everything in the correct order.

Welcome from a fellow Virginian. The only shop that I know of that carries real black powder that is sorta close to you is Bob Moates Sporting Goods, just west of Richmond on Midlothian Turnpike. (I did say sorta close). They generally have some BP guns as well - mostly percussion. Best to call ahead.

My hunting buddy has a couple black powder muzzle loaders that I'm sure I'll get to shoot soon, but they won't be historic replicas; they're sport/hunting guns, so it won't really be apples to apples. But at least they'll give me a start of an idea.

New guy from Lynchburg VA.
I've been doing medieval recreation for decades. I've been thinking about getting into Revolutionary War recreation for a few years now as well. I do a fair amount of shooting modern firearms and even own a black powder flintlock pistol (but haven't gotten my hands on black powder to fire it). I've been casually looking for a Charleville for a couple years (for shooting, and for recreation).
At some point I'm hoping to get to shoot a black powder firearm as it would be better to shoot a few before buying one, but I don't always do everything in the correct order.
Welcome! The last baseball pitch I ever threw still hasn't landed thanks to a student from Lynchburg College. Beautiful area. I am sure you could find some of our members around the Virginia area that could point you toward powder and maybe let you experience shooting one of their guns. I think we have quite a few Virginians here. I do know of a guy that (maybe) sells powder in Winchester. I say "maybe" because The last time I bought from there was almost 6 years ago while I was still in school.

Hello neighbor and welcome from Roanoke. Not a lot of places selling black powder around here, I ordered my last supply after the shop I bought mine closed. New River Sports in Pulaski country sells it if you ever head that way. They’re right off I-81, very easy to get to.

Hello neighbor and welcome from Roanoke. Not a lot of places selling black powder around here, I ordered my last supply after the shop I bought mine closed. New River Sports in Pulaski country sells it if you ever head that way. They’re right off I-81, very easy to get to.
I used to drive right past here a few times a year on my way to visit family (and back). It's a bit far, but totally doable.

Hello and welcome from a fellow Virginian! I live in Buckingham not far rom Lynchburg we have a small club if you are interested you would be more than welcome to come and shoot.
That's not very far away. I'd love to come out and shoot some time. I'd be happy to bring my flintlock black powder pistol and my 1903 (the oldest firearm I currently own).

Back