• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Idaho !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic shooter

Decades of bringing worthy orig. ML back to life
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been an active BP shooter for about 50 years & have been fortunate enough to enjoy meeting with many rendezvous folks across several western states with my wife until age & health slowed us down. I'm looking forward to communicating with fellow flint & percussion shooters on the forum. I'm an avid history buff so mostly shoot guns older than than myself, my favorite hunting & competition rifle is an original percussion .70 cal. Danish Jeager & a 1858 Remington New Model Army manufactured in 1863. Happy trails & stay well !
IMG_2405 (2).JPG
IMG_0458 (2).JPG

Much thanks for the welcome aboard !
Always enjoyable to converse with folks who have similar interest in BP shooting & antique firearms. Discussing & perfecting what makes one firearm, modern or antique more accurate than others helps us all get more enjoyment.
The majority of America's best early gun makers came from foreign shores, they had the skills to produce top quality proofed barrels, rifling, locks & passed those skills along to their apprentice gun makers. We're fortunate that today we have a few master gun makers who are capable of making firearms that are equal in workmanship to the old masters. These custom firearms were usually priced above what I could afford. This was well before the internet but over the years with help of friends & fellow collectors I was fortunate enough to obtain a few original firearms in excellent condition with nice bores. Some believe antique firearms should not be fired but i preferred firearms that showed historical use rather than ones in mint condition.. The few shooter I have are in better condition than most wall hangers I've examined over the years.
NOTE;
I don't recommend shooting original flint or percussion firearms unless you have gunsmith skills to determine that it is safe to fire as it may have a corroded weak breech area, poorly forged barrel or corroded nipples that may fail & cause great harm or worse.
About 35 years ago when age started kicking my butt I began to really appreciate lighter weight & well balanced rifles & found original Jeager rifles fit the bill. They were also very accurate at 100+ yards & required less powder charges due to deep rifling & a faster rate of twist rifling.
Today we're very fortunate to have black powder suppliers & builders that sell high quality built rifles & kits that also feature the original style swamped barrels & stocks to fit whatever style of firearm you favor.
The folks I've met over the years who collect & shoot these historical firearms also love history, there's really something special about shooting a firearm that fought early wars, put food on the table or was used in competition 150 + years ago. I always knew when I missed hitting the mark that it was 100% my fault :)

Welcome to the Forum, we are glad to have you here. Those are beautiful guns, and it pleases me to know that they are in the hands of someone who truly appreciates them. Shooting an original old gun is a joy all its own.

Richard/Grumpa

Howdy,
Welcome fellow Idahoan. Beautiful Jeager. I briefly met a gentleman, last September, at the Nampa Gun Show carrying two Jeagers. Perhaps that was you. At the time, I was toting an original 1863 Remington Musket.

Howdy,
Welcome fellow Idahoan. Beautiful Jeager. I briefly met a gentleman, last September, at the Nampa Gun Show carrying two Jeagers. Perhaps that was you. At the time, I was toting an original 1863 Remington Musket.
Yep that was me, I also recall seeing you with your Remington, small world :) We'll have to chat next time when we get back to having gun shows again.

Much thanks for all of the welcomes !! From what I've seem so far the forum is already loaded with very knowledgeable vintage members & younger ones who have come up with numerous ideas to improve & promote
building & shooting traditional black powder firearms. Back in my younger days I lived & attended a number of BP shoots in the Ozarks including Berryville, great bunch of folks .

Back