• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from France

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean-Luc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from France

I am from « Alsace » in eastern France, next to the German border.
I have been in muzzleloading for the last 30 years and in F&I War reenactment a little less. The Old west and the CW are also periods of interest to me.
I have travelled the United States many times East and West and really love your great country. :hatsoff:

Also liberty is shrinking at a fast pace in Europe, in France we still can own many types of guns , muzzleloaders being the easiest to get including C&B revolvers. My little smokepole collection includes 4 flintlock longarms and as many percussion, 11 C&B revolvers and a few pistols.
Most of my muzzleloaders are Italian made but some are American or German made or improved in Germany.

Welcome. Glad that you have found this site. You'll find a wealth of knowledgeable folks here. So have a seat, fill yer tin cup as the coffees jest finished boiling.

Although I'm new on this forum I'd like to welcome a fellow European.
Not only am I new on this forum,but I'm new to muzzle loading too.
That was the main reason for me to join this forum.
I hope to gather enough information to buy my first percussion or flintlock pistol in the near future.
Again....welcome Lone Rider and remember....tips and info are most welcome.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Welcome from Wisconsin, USA! Please let us know what/how your guns were "improved" over factory issue.

Welcome from across The Big Pond! Your C&B collection makes me envious...can you post some photos? If so, post them in the "Photos" thread.

LonesomeRider,
Welcome to the MLF.Lots of non US
members here. Don't forget the 'SEARCH' feature
of the MLF.Lots of info in the archives.Hope
you will visit and contribute often....
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Welcome to the MLF from Wyoming, USA! Sounds like you have a nice collection of black powder arms. Pull up a stump and join us at the fire.

Welcome to the MLF . Glad to hear that you still can own guns in France as a private citizen . I spent 2-1/2 years in France . I had to travel over much of N.E. East France and into Germany. I worked out of Verdun and was on the road quite a bit . Metz , Trois Fountain . Bar-Le-Duc , Stone and many other places . The weather was quite damp most of the time if I recall correctly . Been several years since I left .(1958) Enjoyed both the country and the people , :thumbsup: :v

Hello Lonesome Rider, and welcome! I think you'll find, as I have, that there's lots of interesting discussion here.
Sam

Thank you all for your friendly welcome.

To answer the question about the guns improved in Germany, I own a Remington and an Enfield Volunteer that were improved.

The Remington is a Pietta with progressive rifling. The trigger pull was set and trigger and hammer hardened after setting. The chambers were modified with long conical entrance and the sights set for 25 meters sport aiming. The gun shot in the 10 ring right out of the box and still does 25 years later.

The volunteer was much more overworked. The parts are the regular Euroarms products but the lock is ways better than the regular Italian locks. Springs are very smooth, everything is well polished and the trigger pull is very light.
The barrel is not the regular one and came without sights but just a dovetail for the front sight.
The gun came with a section of barrel matching exactly the rifling of the barrel and having a conical entrance. It is used to imprint the rifling in the bullet, making loading of lightly oversized bullets easy.

I installed authentic period British made sights on the Volunteer. It’s a great shooter at 100 meters.

The two German made guns I own are a Rogers and Spencer and a Billinghurst Underhammer both by Feinwerkbau.

By the way, I travelled northern Wisconsin a couple times in the 90th on the way from Minneapolis to Mackinac. Great landscapes and beautiful parks !

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here about burning black powder. And Oh, by the way, thanks for helping us out back in the years after 1776.

Allo Rider, and welcome! Alsace- a lot of history there, for sure. Is reencatment big there? Would be great to see something like that.

Dan C

Welcome to a new Frenchman! I am going to go a little off-track and mention that I have made friends with an exchange student from Toulouse, France, who is here in Arizona until July. The off-track idea is that we met because we are both into collector cars, not muzzleloaders. He has a 1967 Mercury Cougar and I have a '69 Camaro convertible. Sorry about that guys, but welcome to the forum, anyway, because I am also into blackpowder and will say that you will enjoy the hobby more by being here.
:hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :grin: :grin:

Back