• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Arizona!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Mesa. How are you doing finding B/P and primers? I just went to Tucson and came home with this .
Then don't bother turning off I-10 at the Casa Grande exit. There's absolutely zero BP as well as other traditional muzzleloader supplies. CG has been pretty much zip for anything related to traditional muzzleloaders even before panic buying began. Back in the 1980s, there was an organisation (Sawtooth Mountain Men), but everyone was relegated to driving to the Phoenix metro area or to Tucson for ANY BP & related supplies. Thank goodness for the internet! Also, a big welcome to Mr. Simons.

BTW, the SMM org.was instrumental in getting the public range constructed which has served the area well.

Hi azmntman! Love Flagstaff! Hi zerosprk! Came thru Cloudcroft when I retired from USAF back in 91....what a beautiful area. Hi Yewbender! Hi Kestrel! Thanks I will have to check out those clubs. There used to be a club at Ben Avery in northern Phoenix call Cactus Cappers but their website doesn't work anymore. Hi Marshhawk! Hi Crow-Feather! I know Idaho is beautiful. When I was in the USAF many folks requested Mountain Home and they all loved it. Hi William Lincoln! Yes I agree! It's too bad some people are afraid of guns but aren't afraid of cars which kill a lot more. Yes I have some favorite utube gun sites and they have to be careful what they say....hey I have to go ….I will continue this later

"Yes I agree! It's too bad some people are afraid of guns but aren't afraid of cars which kill a lot more"

Teddys car has killed more people than any of my guns.....opps forgot I sold em all, I dont have any guns

Hi I'm Bill Simons. I got my first black powder rifle in 79 and have been shooting black powder off and on thru the years. In the last few months my oldest son and I have gone plinking in the desert and have really enjoyed our black powder guns. Recently I got a Brown Bess replica and so far she is my favorite! Love that gun! I really love this forum as well. There is so much information here. I have learned a lot from the people on this site!
Welcome from the hills of Pennsylvania

Hi Tom Mesa! I looked at your attachment and said to myself there's a lucky man! Last year when there was a chance Joe would become President, I added to my modern firearm ammunition store. Targetsports USA is my favorite and M-1 ammo is half the price of Cabelas....so I got stocked up and then my son and I got back into black powder....then covid happened.....its not only affecting modern firearms its also affecting black powder and other hobbies as well. Last spring our family got back into racing RC cars in front of our house....wore out a lot of tires...then went to order new tires. What normally takes 1 week to order took 4 months.....covid has so many people out of work they are using their extra time for hobbies....the thing that concerns me is Targetsports prices are online and unbeatable....I also order online from Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, and MidwayUSA and what really concerns me is that Joe has pledged to get rid of these companies except for local sales. You are very lucky you found powder and caps. I can't find it hardly at all in Phoenix. Thunderbird Cartridge in Laveen is about the only place for powder. I last orderd powder from MidwayUSA a few weeks ago but its unavailable now. I ordered caps from Dixie Gun Works and they took 4 weeks to arrive plus extra $30 hazmat fee. Hi Kenn! Hey I see you like the internet as well....what do you think about Joe's platform on ridding internet gun and ammo sales? Hi Deermanct! Cool dog! Hi Dakota 459! My nephew lives in Greenville. Funny Azmntman many years ago, my second gun that I ever owned ( my first was a TC 54 Renegade) was a cheap single shot K-Mart special 12 gauge shotgun. Every time I shot it parts would literally fall off it! A piece of junk. We had a yard sale and my wife sold it and I was happy to get rid of it...a guy bought it for parts.....crazy how times have changed. Hi 3f! Love PA. Hi Toot!
Well there! I think I have said hi to everyone! "Oh and another thing (love Columbo)" One of my favorite utube channels is Duelist54. He does a great review of the Brown Bess.

Welcome to the forum from Phoenix. :)

Just a reminder: We don't talk about politics except in the MLF Supporter Premium Member section of the forum.

Hi William O.! Yeah the USAF brought me to Luke AFB Phoenix in 78 and I was there til 84 when I got reassigned to Boston. Funny got real tired of sunny blue skies day after day.....Boston cured me of that! Loved the Boston area and all the history there. I was in the Captain's quarters of the ship Constitution when one of our units members retired and it was really cool....especially those big guns! We spent a day at Strawberry Bank, New Hampshire and were lucky to see a local British reenactor's group practice marching and shooting....my oldest son was about 3 and didn't like the noise of their Brown Bess. He's 38 now and loves my Bess! Oh and Boston's beautiful weather brought me back to Phoenix!

Hi William O.! Yeah the USAF brought me to Luke AFB Phoenix in 78 and I was there til 84 when I got reassigned to Boston. Funny got real tired of sunny blue skies day after day.....Boston cured me of that! Loved the Boston area and all the history there. I was in the Captain's quarters of the ship Constitution when one of our units members retired and it was really cool....especially those big guns! We spent a day at Strawberry Bank, New Hampshire and were lucky to see a local British reenactor's group practice marching and shooting....my oldest son was about 3 and didn't like the noise of their Brown Bess. He's 38 now and loves my Bess! Oh and Boston's beautiful weather brought me back to Phoenix!
Funny that you mention the weather as motivation for returning to AZ. A buddy of mine who joined the Air Force after we graduated high school took early retirement when offered to him and got a job with one of the airlines in Seattle. After a few years he transferred to the same position with the same company but out of Skyharbor (Phoenix). I'd been out there about 6 months and he contacted me and had just moved Mesa. We started to hang out and we took our jet skis out to that lake north of Phoenix. I'd never asked him why he left Seattle, as at that time it was the city that everyone wanted to be in. So we're sitting there on the lake surrounded by the desert and he says "This is great, not one damn tree in sight and I can see where I'm going for miles ahead!" Seattle was just not for him but he still lives in Mesa, over 21 years later.

Funny that you mention the weather as motivation for returning to AZ. A buddy of mine who joined the Air Force after we graduated high school took early retirement when offered to him and got a job with one of the airlines in Seattle. After a few years he transferred to the same position with the same company but out of Skyharbor (Phoenix). I'd been out there about 6 months and he contacted me and had just moved Mesa. We started to hang out and we took our jet skis out to that lake north of Phoenix. I'd never asked him why he left Seattle, as at that time it was the city that everyone wanted to be in. So we're sitting there on the lake surrounded by the desert and he says "This is great, not one damn tree in sight and I can see where I'm going for miles ahead!" Seattle was just not for him but he still lives in Mesa, over 21 years later.
Interesting how there can be such a variance our perspectives. Your friend is actually glad to reside where forests are absent. There IS something to be said for the panoramic views & the mild, winter seasons.

While the Sonoran desert surprisingly supports quite a variety of flora & fauna, others view it as being rather dull & absent of the abundant life found in more northerly climes. They'll even comment that the Grand Canyon, while certainly impressive, quickly becomes for them a huge, long hole in the ground, strewn with dead rocks & boulders. "Give me green grass & beautiful trees -- not the talcum powder they call soil & thorn-laden succulents they call plants."

In fact, the summer season of 2020 brought Arizona a new nickname as being the "furnace state" with daytime temperatures reaching 120° F in some areas. I must confess that the forests of the northern third area of the state seem a more natural location for trekking & hunting with my .54 cal GPR.

There's something for everyone, isn't there? Your buddy seems pleased as punch to be in the Mesa metropolitan area. And let's face it, unending days of cloudy skies & rainfall amounts that are what -- four times that which Arizona receives -- can become rather depressing. It's great to find a place one can call home.

And welcome from another Arizona ML shooter. I have 2 Besses and shoot them both - one original India Pattern and a new Pedersoli. I'm a member of the Montezuma Muzzleloaders - we hold monthly matches at the Sierra Vista public range and at Hog Canyon (depending on season and weather),and would be glad to have you join us.

mhb - MIke

Interesting how there can be such a variance our perspectives. Your friend is actually glad to reside where forests are absent. There IS something to be said for the panoramic views & the mild, winter seasons.

While the Sonoran desert surprisingly supports quite a variety of flora & fauna, others view it as being rather dull & absent of the abundant life found in more northerly climes. They'll even comment that the Grand Canyon, while certainly impressive, quickly becomes for them a huge, long hole in the ground, strewn with dead rocks & boulders. "Give me green grass & beautiful trees -- not the talcum powder they call soil & thorn-laden succulents they call plants."

In fact, the summer season of 2020 brought Arizona a new nickname as being the "furnace state" with daytime temperatures reaching 120° F in some areas. I must confess that the forests of the northern third area of the state seem a more natural location for trekking & hunting with my .54 cal GPR.

There's something for everyone, isn't there? Your buddy seems pleased as punch to be in the Mesa metropolitan area. And let's face it, unending days of cloudy skies & rainfall amounts that are what -- four times that which Arizona receives -- can become rather depressing. It's great to find a place one can call home.
I would probably still be in Arizona if I could have found a job that paid as well as the one I had. Hindsight is 20-20 you know.
119 degrees one summer, snow on South Mountain the following winter.

Latest posts

Back