• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello everyone!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know the Starr DA had a strange way to shoot it. Yours may not have a mechanical issue, just works different. My original is single action and works fine. From what I remember because of the cost the Starr was re-designed to SA so the Govt. could issue a contract. Use the web and do a search I'm sure that is where I read it.

OK, I found a thread you should read, as you get closer to the bottom of the page it explains how to shoot SA with a DA Starr. Basically never pull back on the hammer, the first trigger does that.
https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/304234-starr-revolver/

Thanks man! Yeah i know that. There is a good youtube clip on the starr DA. If you pull back the hammer without the trigger you might actually break it. And there is a second trigger that releases the hammer. So literally the "normal" trigger is only for pulling back the hammer and there is a screw back on the trigger and if you pull the thing down it's going into single action and up for double action mode. So if it's down it's stopping the "normal" trigger from pushing the "releasing" trigger since the "normal" trigger can't go back all the way. But the problem is probably that the cylinder is too close to the barrel and moves probably around 1-2 mm vertically but that makes it jam is my guess...

I still don't know what the problem with it is but if you guys got ideas i would be happy to hear them since i would like to make it work the way it should. Probably i'm going to leave it back or sell it to get another better functional one but i'm curious what the problem might be. I like the look of it but i don't really trust the mechanism. If i can fix it and make it work without jamming i might keep it.

Last edited:
Welcome, from North Carolina, USA! You will find lots of knowledgeable blackpowder enthusiasts on this Forum. Tak for sharing your photos!

‘Poet
Thank you!
Yess i actually found alot of helpful information over here and got lots of help 🙂 Thankful this forum exists!

Hey! Recently did a post but thought i would get to introducing myself.

I'm a 25 yo guy from sweden. Since we got very crazy gun laws the only guns i can buy are black powder guns over here produced before 1890 since they are more really classed as antiques then weapon.
I got a Starr Army DA cal 44 1856
And Remington cal 44 1858
i love black powder guns more and more, yet i don't know much and got no expirience with black powder guns except shooting the starr a couple times. And might probably do many posts over here since i'm learning and got questions sometimes.

So i'm here to learn and get some help 🙂
Welcome from Oklahoma USA! I hope you enjoy this great forum. Im really sorry to hear about the gun situation in your country.

Back