• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello everyone, I’m New to cap & ball revolvers and I’ve got a Pyrodex question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaco24,

All my friends say you can NEVER have too many firearms, .....some live in the garage like me, some are divorced, some are in traction, sounds like you have that part of it covered ...

Welcome, it is a great sport.

You have got me curious. What is considered a sale at Cabelas? Is it really a money saving deal? I was under the impression Cabelas no longer had these "sales" since Bass Pro took over. Sorry I didnt mean to change the subject, its good to hear they are still in the blackpowder business.If I may ask, how much did that little jewel set you back?
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...evolver-with-starter-kit/705821.uts?slotId=26
$315.00 minus my military discount

Another Pietta Model 1858 New Army 44. Caliber with an 8 inch barrel, the first one I bought (in the pic) has a 5.5 inch barrel. And I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m about to buy a Pietta Model 1851 Navy “yank” Sheriff steel .44 caliber
Good companion.
It's me but I warn about shooting max loads in open top frames. Over the 45 years of shooting BP I have seen and heard issues with too much stress on base pin. Some have even broken the base pin. Manufacturers do not use the best of gun quality metals. They consider them a hobby item not for full potential use. I would not do the cylinder bore ream for barrel max fit as I described to keep pressure down.
The full frame like the Remingtons are way stronger and will provide high potential use.
I stay away from brass frames too. I have seen the after effects and they can stretch. Have seen drooping barrels and even top of full frame touching cylinder. Of course I'm sure they were over loading them. There are a lot out there that just love the big boom of heavy loads but shooting is more science then brawn. Find the load that gives you best accuracy with the least powder. That's all you need. The formula I posted will give you good starting point for any pistol or rifle for round ball. Yes it is in the low end region but safe.

I'm sorry I didnt welcome you aboard a while back on my other post. Welcome fellow Texan! I feel you will very much enjoy the sport of blackpowder shooting and being a member here.

Back