• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello everyone, I’m New to cap & ball revolvers and I’ve got a Pyrodex question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaco24

32 Cal
Reaction score
1C927F70-5528-4271-8F1A-1C2CB1C564AD.jpeg 2C7E49A2-5215-4EB0-A289-633F30187C30.jpeg 0482FBBE-25E0-4818-A2D9-8B3EED55FCB4.jpeg 1C927F70-5528-4271-8F1A-1C2CB1C564AD.jpeg Purchased a Pietta New Army 44. at Cabela’s over the weekend and the only powder they had on hand was Pyrodex FFG, so I bought it along with “starter kit” that had a capper, powder flask, powder measure, nipple wrench, etc. My question is about the Pyrodex FFG the manual says to use FFFG powder but like I said Cabela’s only had FFG available. Can I just measure out 25-30 of the FFG with my powder measure and use it in the revolver? I don’t want to damage myself or the revolver. Also as this is a brand spanking new revolver covered in grease I could use some “first time “ cleaning advice/tips before I load and start shootings. TIA

Lucky for you Red Dot wasn't the only powder they had.

It is printed right on the barrel, "Black Powder Only".

I hope you have as much fun with your new "toy" as I had recently with mine.I'm almost 70 and never shot a blackpowder revolver until last week. I'm still grinning and my ears are still ringing.

I’m looking forward to shooting mine as well, I’ve already purchased another revolver from Cabela’s online!

You have got me curious. What is considered a sale at Cabelas? Is it really a money saving deal? I was under the impression Cabelas no longer had these "sales" since Bass Pro took over. Sorry I didnt mean to change the subject, its good to hear they are still in the blackpowder business.If I may ask, how much did that little jewel set you back?

View attachment 4132 View attachment 4133 View attachment 4134 View attachment 4132 Purchased a Pietta New Army 44. at Cabela’s over the weekend and the only powder they had on hand was Pyrodex FFG, so I bought it along with “starter kit” that had a capper, powder flask, powder measure, nipple wrench, etc. My question is about the Pyrodex FFG the manual says to use FFFG powder but like I said Cabela’s only had FFG available. Can I just measure out 25-30 of the FFG with my powder measure and use it in the revolver? I don’t want to damage myself or the revolver. Also as this is a brand spanking new revolver covered in grease I could use some “first time “ cleaning advice/tips before I load and start shootings. TIA

First of all, Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum.

Next, pay no attention to the rude wet blankets who have nothing positive to contribute - if there were a prohibition in posting photos of a newbie's new revolver, the Moderators would have likely contacted you already.

Go to the Handgun Forum. There is a wealth of information on getting started, cleaning before first firing, powder, wads, lubes, and everything you want to know before your first trip to the range.

Pyrodex RS (2F) is safe, and will work just fine.

Before disassembly. be sure you have a set of properly fitting screwdrivers. You can buy a gunsmithing set, or if you're handy, buy a cheap set at Harbor freight & grind to fit yourself.

I have several cap & ball revolvers, and the 'Sheriff's Model, like yours, is my favorite & amazingly accurate.

First of all, Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum.

Next, pay no attention to the rude wet blankets who have nothing positive to contribute - if there were a prohibition in posting photos of a newbie's new revolver, the Moderators would have likely contacted you already.

Go to the Handgun Forum. There is a wealth of information on getting started, cleaning before first firing, powder, wads, lubes, and everything you want to know before your first trip to the range.

Pyrodex RS (2F) is safe, and will work just fine.

Before disassembly. be sure you have a set of properly fitting screwdrivers. You can buy a gunsmithing set, or if you're handy, buy a cheap set at Harbor freight & grind to fit yourself.

I have several cap & ball revolvers, and the 'Sheriff's Model, like yours, is my favorite & amazingly accurate.
Thank you for the positive feedback, I’ve already ready posted my questions in the handgun forum and have gotten some responses however YOU have pretty much answered my main concerns, anytime someone takes up a new hobby, especially one where serious injury could happen due to ignorance, there is a bit of stress involved, so thank you very much for your kind response.

The powder charges in this muzzle loading sport are measured in volume which is equal to real black powder. Pyrodex is less dense so the measured weight is less than the equivalent weight in black powder, but Pyrodex is designed so that the volume measure is roughly equal to that volume of black powder. Yes, 2f is safe to use in your new pistol. Be very aware that the fouling generated by shooting muzzleloading firearms is very corrosive, so be sure to carefully clean and lubricate your new pistol.

What did you get?
Another Pietta Model 1858 New Army 44. Caliber with an 8 inch barrel, the first one I bought (in the pic) has a 5.5 inch barrel. And I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m about to buy a Pietta Model 1851 Navy “yank” Sheriff steel .44 caliber

Back