• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello Everybody!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I have an Italian Hawken 50 cal, and a custom-built Pennsylvania Long Rifle, which is a flintlock. I also shoot
a .45 cal black powder pistol. I've never shot the flint lock as I just received it today. I need to know the recommended black powder for the flash pan and the muzzle. I need a little guidance here to do the right thing and I need to know a reliable source to buy the black powder. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks so much, Faber - Navasota, Texas

Welcome from Maine. Ask that question in Flintlock rifle for a better response. This thread is for introductions only.
Nit Wit

Howdy, Faber, from right down the road in Waller County! There is a newish gun store in Burton (other side of Brenham) that carries powder. Also has some BP guns as well.
Welcome to the forum!

I've been a Muzzleloader since 1989, for Christmas my wife bought me a .50 caliber Hawken kit which I loved building and shooting. I joined Escambia River Muzzle Loaders (we lived in FL then) and began shooting a lot of practice and a lot of matches. I began increasing my collection of black-powder guns, buying a 1851 Navy Colt in .44, a flintlock Kentucky rifle in .45, a Queen Anne pistol in .45, a Great Plains rifle in .54 caliber and others. I love hunting and plinking with them, and appreciate the freedom and independence that black powder firearms give me. (That's not to say I don't have modern arms as well)

Howdy and Welcome from The Woodlands.
As an Aggie from The Goodlands, I've travelled through Navasota many, many times.
I returned recently, and found the older downtown section has been re-vitalized with lots of shops and cool restaurants. Too bad it's too late for Mance Lipscomb to be busking on a corner. He might have become famous! ;)

For powder, I shoot 2F or 3F in my flintlock rifles, with 4F in the pan. When starting to work up a load, I use the same grains as the caliber: 45 grains in a .45 cal rifle, and work on sighting-in from there.

Other folks can add their comments on working up a load.

Last powder I bought was from 10-Ring in Jersey Village, and paid $35 for a pound of Swiss 4F, and that was before COVID and The Great Shortage (that's when everything dried up). Not recommended, but that's the only real black they had.

Good luck, and keep us posted with photos of what you shoot, where you shoot, and anything else that we might find interesting. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back