• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello everybody, new to bp in general

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smerft85

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone and good day. Colorado native here looking for pointers on a .45cal cva Kentucky that I've owned, given away to my father in law (dad) and then inherited after his recent, sudden, and unexpected passing. Would potentially like to use it for deer hunting next year but I know jack about it. Happy to find the group, and have a good feeling about the support from you all to get me shooting.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
I have a Traditions deerhunter rifle in 45 caliber. Slow twist barrel for patched round ball.
My gun likes the .440 ball with 60 grains of 3f powder.
I use a thin cotton patch lubed with good old spit or Crisco.

Welcome from Tennessee. Those CVA rifles were usually very accurate and many deer have been taken with them. They were inexpensive and not exactly historically correct but still good shooters. I have CVA rifles and pistols that I’ve shot for over thirty years and they’re still going strong. Properly maintained it should serve you well. Be safe, have fun!

The load deermanct gave is probably the ideal hunting load for that gun. You could also use 45gr of 3f or 2f and a .440 patched round ball just for plinking.

73B5AFF9-2ABE-45C4-AB85-35060A47932C.jpeg
The picture isn’t the best but here’s an old CVA load data chart. Pay no attention to my scribbling.

Back