• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello all. What is the best quick loader tube type for a musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. What is the best quick loader tube type for a musket? I only wish to use them when hunting and not for use at the range. Are there any that will accommodate a musket cap? Or do you always have to carry the caps separately? I will be shooting an Enfield 1853 with a .577 Minie Ball

I've been thinking about this for some time now as I plan on hunting with my '58 Enfield this year. I think the biggest problem is keeping a lubed Minie separate from the powder. I'm sure a bunch of people are gonna say paper cartridge but those only work well in a cartridge box where they are protected so the solution needs to be tough enough to survive in a pocket by itself. At least that is what I am thinking... If it's just one follow up shot, does it really need to be lubed? At that point you would just need one of those double sided speed loaders. Put a cap or two in the bullet side, powder in the powder side, and loose ball in the same pocket/pouch. Looking forward to see what others say.

In the N-SSA, and ACWSA, all the shooters use what is called "cap plugs". They are perfect for .58 cal minnie type balls. I use them for all my muskets. They are made of plastic.
Now, if you are thinking of loading 60 or more grns of powder, they might not be the best, because, about 60 grns is about the max load you can get in them along with the inverted minne.
You put your powder charge in them, insert a properly sized minne ball, then dip the minnie skirt in the lube of your choice. You could then use a zip lock bag to keep extra rds in, while hunting. I carry my musket caps in my pocket while hunting.

When new, I take a small needle and pierce the "cap plugs". this is to let air out of them so you can insert the minnie, or some times, the minnies will pop out, specially when being jarred aound.

Hope this helps
Dave

In the N-SSA, and ACWSA, all the shooters use what is called "cap plugs". They are perfect for .58 cal minnie type balls. I use them for all my muskets. They are made of plastic.
Now, if you are thinking of loading 60 or more grns of powder, they might not be the best, because, about 60 grns is about the max load you can get in them along with the inverted minne.
You put your powder charge in them, insert a properly sized minne ball, then dip the minnie skirt in the lube of your choice. You could then use a zip lock bag to keep extra rds in, while hunting. I carry my musket caps in my pocket while hunting.

When new, I take a small needle and pierce the "cap plugs". this is to let air out of them so you can insert the minnie, or some times, the minnies will pop out, specially when being jarred aound.

Hope this helps
Dave
This is what another couple of my friends that shoot a lot told me, too. Thanks!

Back