• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Heheh, yeah, I am still alive and looking for some input.... or a project.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the past I have "assembled" a few Traditions kits, and now that the weather is getting a bit colder, I was wondering what others would suggest I attempt next.
I got into drones last spring, and am having a hoot with them, but when the weather is below 32 degrees f. I cannot fly.
I am not a master wood worker, love to "redo" things based on your guys input, and look up to all of you for sure because you have all "been there and done that".
Funds are not all that great since I retired, but I am looking for the best bang for my buck.
Failed projects, lost interest, etc. is what I am looking for.
Thanks in advance!
Dave........
I am still a supporting member, and will be until I cannot anymore!

In the past I have "assembled" a few Traditions kits, and now that the weather is getting a bit colder, I was wondering what others would suggest I attempt next.
I got into drones last spring, and am having a hoot with them, but when the weather is below 32 degrees f. I cannot fly.
I am not a master wood worker, love to "redo" things based on your guys input, and look up to all of you for sure because you have all "been there and done that".
Funds are not all that great since I retired, but I am looking for the best bang for my buck.
Thanks in advance!
Dave........
I think there may be some kits available in the For Sale section but don't quote me on that.

100_1065.JPG

Built it, and she will shoot. Just needs a new stock to make her live once more.

someone restocked it in 1976 but rather than make it usable, the dude did a cruddy job and i had to break the stock apart. Shes been test fired a few times and had a gun smith install a new nipple.

Its a 12 gauge. No import or markings on it anywhere.
100-1064.jpg

pix20510-2.jpg

Take a stock CVA rifle, Mount or Hawken, and:

1 Strip and brown barrel with the "textured" finish
2 strip stock and re-contour comb to steeper angle. Stain to suit
3 Pitch aluminum nosecap and cast new one in pewter.
4 Decorative inlays

These little mods really make a CVA gun look more authentic.

Thanks in advance!
Dave........

I was looking for something to do once and I had this old Anchor lantern in the shed. Looked awful. Looked up a few videos and presto, now I have a fully restored, functional oil lamp in my home. That opened up a whole new world of things to polish, and restore. I have a basement full of brass, copper and bronze antiques that I've restored.

Take a stock CVA rifle, Mount or Hawken, and:

1 Strip and brown barrel with the "textured" finish
2 strip stock and re-contour comb to steeper angle. Stain to suit
3 Pitch aluminum nosecap and cast new one in pewter.
4 Decorative inlays

These little mods really make a CVA gun look more authentic.

I know what you mean.
Now "authentic" can mean many things to many people and having grown up around farm people that modified literally everything for themselves...... here is where I am at.
None of my "kits" have turned out as stock....
heheh, I love to recontour things to fit me, my style, and finish for sure. I have small fat fingered hands, so I keep working them until they fit me
The only two I have that have not been "modified" are the ones I purchased to keep as created.
Here are my creations so far....
Top is a stock Traditions Pennsylvania. I really like it as is, purchased it here from a member, and cannot bring myself to do anything to it because it just does not need it!
2nd down is a Traditions Kentucky..... still a work in progress. My very first kit gun in over 40 years.
3rd is a Cabela's Hawken..... I kinda like it the way it is, so for now, leaving it as is.
I got this one, and the fringed jacket hanging on the wall to the far leftm from a friend that is no longer with us, so sentimental value is huge here.
4th is a Traditions St. Louis Hawken..... again, still a work in progress, though I may be done with this one.
5th is a Traditions Crockett...... the most challenging one I have built thanks to this forum. Many modifications, changes, and it finally wound up "fitting me". Still may need to do a small bit to it as far as finish...... heheh, I love boiled linseed oil!
6th is my Traditions Mountain rife.... sigh, I just cannot get the stock to the color I like, but will in time.....
I could revisit all of these, and probably will as the snow and cold set in.

Attachments

• DSCF2139.JPG
    DSCF2139.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Back