• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heart Burn: Coil Spring Vs. Leaf Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering why the heart burn over having a coil spring (T/C and Lyman) versus a leaf spring?

Why the need to make the change? Seems kind of expensive to make a change in a rifle that you cannot see, especially considering a T/C Hawken which everyone complains about not being P/C and H/C. The change in a Lyman is not going to increase the value of it.

I assume both T/C and Lyman chose to use a coil spring because of manufacturing costs.

Last edited:
Lots of folks twitterpated over the coil spring inadequacy. Hammer blowback seems to be one criticism, but nipplee need to be replaced before blowback becomes a problem.

Hi,
The problem is that a coil spring becomes harder the more it is compressed. A "V" spring properly made and fitted in a properly designed lock has some of the qualities of a compound bow in which there is a let up of pressure when pulling the cock from half to full. That allows a lighter trigger pull with a simple trigger. On TCs and other mass production guns with set triggers and coils springs, you don't notice it. It is not much of an issue with percussion guns but flintlocks with coil springs are just terrible to try and tune well. It is really hard to balance the springs for best sparking.

dave

A coil spring compared to a leaf spring of the same quality is less likely to break. A well designed coil spring lock with careful construction should be the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately coil spring locks are made with mass production in mind. For me I shoot these old time guns for what they are so leaf springs and and all the other short comings are excepted.

Back