• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hearing protection.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wear brimmed hats outdoors for protection against sunlight. I've had a lot of skin-cancer on my ears and "baseball caps" provide no protection in that sense but I like "ear-muffs" better than "ear plugs". Does anyone have useful suggestions/references for muffs that can be worn with brimmed hats or ear-plugs that really work well for them; ie., really good ear/hearing protection? TIA, baxter

Check out the Allen Sound Sensor.

2-ALN2320.jpg

They work best over your head - but will go behind as well (just a little trickier to "plug" into your ears). I am amazed how well they work (26dB reduction); you can still hear conversation but gunfire goes "Poink" instead of "Bang!". $17 at several retailers.

For many, many years I have also used the silicone plug-style North Sonic Ear Valves . . . but a few years back I saw a test where they did terribly (6dB reduction). Still use them - but then I'm not shooting big barkers for the most part. I wonder if the test is a steady sound vs. the pulse of a firearm that "closes" the membranes?

img_NO2-281503_1.jpg

I've used electronic muffs by Peltor for quite awhile and a couple of years ago got these by Howard Leight:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/103666/peltor-tactical-6s-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-20db-gray
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...act-sport-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-22-db-green

But last summer when I got my new flintlock I had the H.L. muffs and couldn't get my head down on the stock. So I liberated these Howard Leight silicone plugs from work and they are great. I have small ear canals and these fit comfortably and work well to reduce the noise level.
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/smartfit--2

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple of head sets (at least there used to be) that are made to fit from the rear. A ball cap and sun screen might do for range work. Our ranges are covered so we luck out there!

Geo. T.

I have a fine Peltor electronic muff set and wear it when I shoot from shade. I really like these; they work very well but don't work with a brimmed hat of course. I'm looking for something like the "Airsoft" plugs - 27db reduction so I'll give them a try. I bought some ear-plugs that have a "loop" that fits into the bowl of the ear - tried to make them work but when I finally got them positioned, the seal would break every time I moved my jaw and they were painful after an hour or so. baxter

All, or at least most, of the ear plugs, including he custom molded ones have a published NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) of around 30 db(a). This is based on laboratory tests that do not include all of the frequencies. The real world noise reduction is always assumed to be 1/2 of the published NRR which means that all ear plugs provide an assumed protection of 15 db(a). In other words, you will get an effective reduction of about 15 db when using ear plugs. Ear muffs provide a similar level of protection. I use both together when shooting (when I can). Of course, it is difficult to use ear muffs when wearing a hat but some ear muffs can be worn with the strap either behind your head or under your chin. Both ways are valid ways of wearing the ear muffs and will provide the same level of protection in any of those three positions. My preference for ear plugs are the foam type. I find them to be quite comfortable for long time use. For them to work properly, they must be rolled up and properly inserted into the ear canal. Be sure to read and follow the instructions. So many people do not read nor follow the instructions and as a result, do not receive the protection to their hearing that the plugs are capable of providing.

Always wear hearing protection when in a noisy environment whether it is at a range with gunfire or in the shop with power tools. Hearing that is lost due to noise is irreversible. The part of the ear structure that is damaged by noise will never function again and that frequency of hearing is gone forever.

It has been said that the modern kitchen is a significant noise-hazard. My wife, daughter and I wear muffs while running the vacuum cleaner, carpet shampooer, lawn mower, etc. We have a dozen 25-27db nr muffs scattered around the house and garage. I spent my first 10 years in the USAF working on the flight line and always used the supplied ear plugs and with muffs when I could get them. I spent two years as a Flt Med tech and annual physical examinations was my job which included hearing evaluations so I have a background in this area of health. I just ordered 3 sets of the Height "Airsoft" plugs and, when I can, wear my Peltor electronic muffs with them. I appreciate the responses and will watch for more, if posted. Thanks to all. baxter

When I go shooting I use plugs AND quality muffs. In the woods there is little shooting so I don't use anything.

The foam plugs from E.A.R work real well but best to change them a couple of times a day. Not a problem if you go to a commercial supply house and get them in boxes of 500 or 1000.
I have the custom fitted ear plugs that I like real well.
Also got a set of the peltor eltronic ear muffs that have the band made to go behind your head, if it sticks up a bit far and bumps your hat band just turn it over so the band is down on your shoulders.

Latest posts

Back