• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Heading out.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter thompson

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Heading out to the BIG maine woods since its opening day of muzzleloader season.Taking a 58 renegade that i had made from a rusted 54 from a guy in kentucky.Its has deep rifling like what you see on douglas bbls. VERY ACCURATE is the reason i prefer it tomarrow. I had it made n it sat for awhile then finally took it to a compitition and won 25/50/100 yards with it..LAUGHING saying to everyone..i just bought this at a yardsale on the way here ..iam not even using my real competition gun..lol.FUN FAMILY all the competetitors knowing each other for years from the range n line shooting..I started out with a newenglander in the early 90s in 54cal. Father said thats the one to get and i did and shot roughly 10 deer does mostly and son got one and he got some big does and a few lil bucks with it in vermont and maine we did.After the first doe down with it..i never turned back..WOW the simplicity and thankful the states opened up the 2 week season to maintain the herds all due to less hunters buying licenses. I USED something thats not allowed mentioned here also because of being able to attach a scope when it was bucks only in thick mixed woods.

Best of luck mate 👍

you could also try the sister forum it's a good place for all things not flint or roundball.

Heading out to the BIG maine woods since its opening day of muzzleloader season.Taking a 58 renegade that i had made from a rusted 54 from a guy in kentucky.Its has deep rifling like what you see on douglas bbls. VERY ACCURATE is the reason i prefer it tomarrow. I had it made n it sat for awhile then finally took it to a compitition and won 25/50/100 yards with it..LAUGHING saying to everyone..i just bought this at a yardsale on the way here ..iam not even using my real competition gun..lol.FUN FAMILY all the competetitors knowing each other for years from the range n line shooting..I started out with a newenglander in the early 90s in 54cal. Father said thats the one to get and i did and shot roughly 10 deer does mostly and son got one and he got some big does and a few lil bucks with it in vermont and maine we did.After the first doe down with it..i never turned back..WOW the simplicity and thankful the states opened up the 2 week season to maintain the herds all due to less hunters buying licenses. I USED something thats not allowed mentioned here also because of being able to attach a scope when it was bucks only in thick mixed woods.
Best of luck.

THEE rest of the on going episode..DAMM went for a walk after a rainy morning ,,tip toeing away 3 feet n stop..for a mile..i turned off the trail and went into the darkness under the mixed trees.I wear pres glasses only for hunting,,but they got wet and nothing to dry them with but shirt ,,to make smudges..not happening,and put them in my pocket. I SLOWL walked 25 yards off the trail ..i see a deer,,having a doe permit its anything goes now,,brown its down..BIG DEER usually everything here is a buck..there the dumb ones...he seems lost milling around 40 yards..I get ready..i cock the hammer and rise the gun slowly...he walks behing a tree in mixed woods..I Wait 2 minutes ,,wow he backs up..hard to see no glasses but this shot is perfect. Broadside..i take A fine bead ..pull the trigger....POP..WHAT??? he bouches away with those nice horns. ME BEING MR muzzleloader man ,,teaching telling getting others help never really totally cleaned it from a few months back beause i used triple 7 and just wiped it out with no 13 moose milk..THEN wiped it out before loading it for the season to hunt with.I fired 3 caps-MUZZLE at the ground to see a leaf move to check if its clear n not plugged...aww no movement that day that i did that...BIG HEAD ME thinking ,,aww its ok it must be the big 58 bore is the reson its not moving leaves. LONG walk home..and then ..stripped it completly washed it out with boiling water n soap then moose milked it for flash rust n what was left,,solvented the nipple with a small wire brush...n pipe cleaner inside ..then neverseized the threads..put it all back together..popped a cap at another leaf ,the dam leaf jumped up 6 inches.HE LIVES and iam all set and feel good that he does.Lessons he taught me..never get so good that you fail.

went same place today..he musta said to heck with that guy..nothing...going in the daylight..see what happens..want to try that roundball in 58.Ive noticed that the renegade /hawken hammers are too far forward to hold the wrist of the gun unlike the new englanders so you dont have to take your hand off the wrist part of the gun to cock the hammer

went same place today..he musta said to heck with that guy..nothing...going in the daylight..see what happens..want to try that roundball in 58.Ive noticed that the renegade /hawken hammers are too far forward to hold the wrist of the gun unlike the new englanders so you dont have to take your hand off the wrist part of the gun to cock the hammer
Hunter, there are different hammers for the Hawken, the gawd awful straight up to 12 o'clock one and a more traditional one. if neither works try a torch and channel locks to "customize the thumb spur.
love to hear others still use Still hunting. takes me an hour to cover a half mile.

Hunter, there are different hammers for the Hawken, the gawd awful straight up to 12 o'clock one and a more traditional one. if neither works try a torch and channel locks to "customize the thumb spur.
love to hear others still use Still hunting. takes me an hour to cover a half mile.
YEAH hmm this is a renegade..THATS good info on hammer that i didnt realize.LOVE to walk n stalk..The deer are used to the untrained eye and stand off to the side motionless or they will be on the move faster than the stalker and step out.YEAH hour just about same here.REAL hunters set there foot down..I wear rubber lacross so i can feel the ground more.

TC hammers are cast, so use caution to work the hammer spur to keep it from breaking. I needed to correct a hammer to a new barrel a few years back and we glad to slightly bent it without it cracking. Could have gone either way.
Hope you tag one soon. Still hunting is my second favorite type of hunting, just behind spot and stalk. Not many place large enough around here for either method, but I'll do it when I can.

TC hammers are cast, so use caution to work the hammer spur to keep it from breaking. I needed to correct a hammer to a new barrel a few years back and we glad to slightly bent it without it cracking. Could have gone either way.
Hope you tag one soon. Still hunting is my second favorite type of hunting, just behind spot and stalk. Not many place large enough around here for either method, but I'll do it when I can.
Thank you for the info..Thompson centers are cast..when they were still in business and you called them its was press 1 for t/c investment castings or 2 for the firearms.Aot of people dont know that they made the internals for ak,s from cast the reson was to change imported guns into american made with the 10 part rule. 10 parts changed out they were non imported...IVE BENT them a lil with heat.but need to replace.

ANOTHER rainy day.This time the 58 was clean.Dam he heard me cock the hammer this time. ALMOST another long walk home.10 seconds more he would of bounded off.

Attachments

• 263310194_424406242485371_8776842823876308934_n.jpg
    263310194_424406242485371_8776842823876308934_n.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 61
Back