• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HB Brass Tinder Box w/ fire starting glass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Apologizing up front. How common would the Hudson Bay tinder box with glass on lid be in the fur trade 1830's. Is it used by "rich folk", as I would guess the common trapper would be too poor to acquire such a fancy accruement.

I got one in German silver. Bought in mid seventies still does me well.
But....
I don’t think many folk not dealing with HBC had one. In other words I think it’s not correct for an American. Note it was sold not as a tinder box but as a tobacco box. I think it’s more of a rich or well off guys item, and not for the guy who traps his own or works his own fields.

I always wondered about those, myself. They certainly are handy, I'll admit. I don't have one anymore, as I don't think it quite fits with my 18th century outfit.

Great topic and I have a few questions too. I have a Ted Cash oval brass one with the fire starting glass insert included brass cover to protect it. I got it many years ago and at the time it was called the Hudson Bay tinder box. Did this actually exist during fur trader era or is it something created much later in time. I know there were brass or metal boxes with the solid lids for tobacco and or fire kits. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks Art

Back