• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkins fix it project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy New Years all!

My father generously passed along his 50 cal. Hawkins to me this Xmas. It was a kit gun from basspro from probably 30 years back when there was only the one store. It sure maker. Barrel stamped made in Spain.

939E8914-1C2D-4F8C-9EE5-4A2D7C303229.jpeg 31A1C29E-6520-43E5-927F-4F7154038908.jpeg

Two issues to deal with. One, the rifle is stuck in half-cock. Second, someone looks to have slammed butt and chipped butt stock and damaged plate. I didn’t want to start tearing down lock until I passed the problem past the wiser folks around the forum. I don’t have a problem taking apart lock but wanted to get some opinions first. I know I can splice in a piece of hardwood (beech) in butt easily.
Note: I have but a worm down the barrel to 6660EBB5-EB8C-4F2C-8D1E-500E1976A1E6.jpeg make sure rifle unloaded as Dad’s memory isn’t what it used to be.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• B70ADD13-7D77-4B4D-B00F-7492ED08D0AF.jpeg
    B70ADD13-7D77-4B4D-B00F-7492ED08D0AF.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 71
You can easily take the lock off by removing the screws on the left and tapping on the left side with your hand. The lock will work loose and fall out. Then you can see if it is rusted or if debris is in there. Maybe that's all it is. Otherwise, you can then cock it and manually release the sear to see if the lock is broken or just "stuck". Fixing the wood chip is not a big deal and someone will give you great advice on how to repair that.

Wat Spark said is worth heeding. As for the butt break. Since it is an inexpensive rifle to start with, I would simply reshape the butt with files and rasps. Might not look 'authentic' but it is not 'authentic' to start with. If done with care it will look just fine afterwards.

Not understanding how you verified if it’s loaded or not. Generally, just run the ramrod to the end, as deep as it will go in the bbl, mark it with your thumb at the muzzel, and pull the rod out and lay it on the bbl with your thumb in the same spot at the muzzel. This should show you where the rod stopped at and if it stopped at the bottom, or on a charge still in it.

The others gave good advice and ideas.

If'n it was mine, I'd simply make a brass toeplate that's thick enough to completely cover the chip. I did this to my TC Hawken , not to cover up a chip but the rear sling swivel is riveted to it...used 2 screws to attach the toeplate.....Fred

Spark itoff, thanks. I pull lock and sprayed with rem oil till it worked loose. Half cock is a little loose so I made need to play with adjustment screw inside lock I presume. One thing leads to a another!

Fred, good idea on wrap around heal plate. I don’t want to cut it down on already short butt which has small LOP so your idea is good if’n I can find the time.

Thanks all!

The missing chip seems to be at least twice as deep (or more) as the average toe-plate. I'd add a piece of wood with similar grain and stain everything when done, as you will need to re-finish the stock anyway. The stock could stand some reshaping and refining too....

Last edited:
I agree with the toe plate fix. Even if the chipped portion is slightly deeper than the thickness of a toe plate, fill the chipped area with a bit of wood. Then cut, or lower down the area for the plate. The filled chip will be very small and possibly not even noticed, especially if you refinish the stock. It’s a simple fix and adds a personal touch to your rifle. I put one on my TC Hawken many years ago.

Happy New Years all!

My father generously passed along his 50 cal. Hawkins to me this Xmas. It was a kit gun from basspro from probably 30 years back when there was only the one store. It sure maker. Barrel stamped made in Spain.

View attachment 2496 View attachment 2497

Two issues to deal with. One, the rifle is stuck in half-cock. Second, someone looks to have slammed butt and chipped butt stock and damaged plate. I didn’t want to start tearing down lock until I passed the problem past the wiser folks around the forum. I don’t have a problem taking apart lock but wanted to get some opinions first. I know I can splice in a piece of hardwood (beech) in butt easily.
Note: I have but a worm down the barrel to View attachment 2498 make sure rifle unloaded as Dad’s memory isn’t what it used to be.

Thanks, Chris
What is a ‘Hawkins’?

As someone who proof-read manuscripts for a job, they make me a little crazy too.
Jim Hawkins was a character in "Treasure Island".
One of my favourite stories Black hand and I love the film made with Christian Bale as Jim and Charlton Heston as Silver. (Music by the Chieftans) sorry to go off topic. Simon

Back