• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkin ?s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Thumb

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a very nice 50 cal Hawkin made by P. Siehr, his 32nd build completed in 1994. Have shot it a bit and it does well although my old eyes dont focus on the rear sight. Trying to overcome that problem I mounted a modified flip up peep with a hair for a hole. Need to spend time sighting that one in.

? is; what twist should that bbl have? Put a patched cleaning rod down the bore, measured off 29" and as close a guess as I can take there is almost 3/4 of a revolution in 27".

One experiment I tried at my last 2 shots was to use a 50 to 45 cal sabot and a 230 gr 45cal RN ACP bullet. With 70gr of FFG, there was no sign of key holing. The rifle was listed on Gunbroker as a Kit Carson replica, sure is well made.

2nd ?, how do I post photos?

Based on your measurements the rifling would be 1:36 which would be a good round ball rifling. We don't talk about those other kind of projectiles on here as they don't fall within the time period.

Not familiar with your gun, but you're not really supposed to focus on the rear sight...focus should be on the front sight and the rear and the target will be slightly out of focus. Good shooting to you.

Getting old has many challenges. Rear sights are just one of them.
I am mounting peeps on my tangs, and getting excellent results.
I particularly like the Pedersoli "Ghost" peep.
Fully adjustable for elevation and windage, but is small enough to not be obtrusive.

I mounted a peep with a small hole in the disk on the tang and that works. Anybody know what the original Hawkin rifle twist was?

What's the drill to post pictures?

I mounted a peep with a small hole in the disk on the tang and that works. Anybody know what the original Hawkin rifle twist was?

What's the drill to post pictures?
The original Hawkin rifles had a 1:48 twist in all calibers.

To add pictures, click on the blue "Upload a File" button in your posting window. Navigate to the picture you want to show and click on it. Then click on the "OPEN" button.
The forums computer will then upload the picture and show it in your post. Don't forget to poke the "Thumbnail" or Full Size button before you enter your post.

I may be mistaken, but 1 in 36" sounds very fast for a round ball. I would think that would be more for a slug. I made some scratch built Hawken rifles many years ago with Douglas and Sharron barrels, and I believe they were 1 in 66 or 1 in 70" twist for round ball shooting. I think 1 in 36" would only work for round ball if it was a very light load.

Your use of a Sabot and a much smaller projectile seems sort of an inline rifle practice.
The rifle you describe sounds more like a patched round ball rifle Shooting .495 ball with a charge of around 75 grains of powder.

Am really puzzled by the sabot process.

Dr5x

I have a very nice 50 cal Hawkin made by P. Siehr, his 32nd build completed in 1994. Have shot it a bit and it does well although my old eyes dont focus on the rear sight. Trying to overcome that problem I mounted a modified flip up peep with a hair for a hole. Need to spend time sighting that one in.

? is; what twist should that bbl have? Put a patched cleaning rod down the bore, measured off 29" and as close a guess as I can take there is almost 3/4 of a revolution in 27".

One experiment I tried at my last 2 shots was to use a 50 to 45 cal sabot and a 230 gr 45cal RN ACP bullet. With 70gr of FFG, there was no sign of key holing. The rifle was listed on Gunbroker as a Kit Carson replica, sure is well made.

2nd ?, how do I post photos?

Back