• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkin rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where your getting the idea that folks are knocking TC's?

They are and have been a mainstay of traditional ML now for decades.

Your the one trying to make a comparison that's being pointed out to you as an incorrect comparison.
I don't care for the TC Hawken personally because they don't fit me,, they are just darn cheek slappers for me.
I have 3 Renegades
A Traditions St. Louis Hawken
A CVA Hawken and
A CVA Mountain Rifle.

But it never occurred to me, nor have I ever entertained the idea that they are even close to an original Hawken.

The only thing here that's delusional is the idea that folks are knocking the knock offs,, :idunno:

Dude,, :dead:
Your just in this for the game now, you don't even make sense anymore your arguing for the sake of argument.

necchi said:
Your just in this for the game now, you don't even make sense anymore your arguing for the sake of argument.
Aimed at no one... We see this sometimes. People start creating topics only for their controversy value. It becomes a contest of who knows more, rather than sharing information. Those folks don't last long on the Forum.

LOL.. thanks for the morning read.

I own a Traditions St Louis "Hawken", kit I built (some may remember my nose cap thread)

A GPR Kit I built after that..

And a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain "Hawken"

They all share many characteristics, and each, in progression shares more with their namesake than the previous.

I have fondled a real Hawken or two.. OK, two. I do believe that %99.9 of people on the street would not detect a difference between the P-RMH and an original. Some would see the difference at the GPR, and most should see the differences in the Traditions.

BUT, for most here, we/they ain't, the average Joe on the street. We notice the subtleties, for better or worse. and, like the 9mm vs .45, AK vs AR, '65 vs '05 Mustang, They are all quite different to some.. not so to others..

Name calling and bashing seems silly (from BOTH sides) over how close I, or you, choose to look.

As to weight.. yep the RMH is the heaviest.. by a lot. It's also the only ML that I took to the deer woods this year. It's part of my fitness plan. :wink:

as a side note..

Some of you guys would have a freakin' stroke if you met my MIL.. she nearly had a breakdown when my wife tried to get her to understand that my '86 Mustang GT and her (wife's) '86 Mustang GT WERE the same car. One was red, one silver. two COMPLETELY different cars to her mother. LOL.

Ya have to know the artist..That one is AMHACand cowgirls,tv heroes,the original is all the movie heroes,John Wayne Roy Rogers.Ivan Jesse Curtis lived here and and let me be his friend,i would go to his house and have him autograph the stuff i got from him and other places.He passed away about 7 years ago,i miss him very much,he was a good ole boy and knew all the older westeners and would show me pics of him and Roy,Dog McQluer,Ben Johnson and others.The best i can tell ya is do a search on Ivan Jesse Curtis,he passed at the peak of his artistry,in my opinion up there with Remington and others in his own style,you should see the John Wayne portrait he did of The Big Trail!!Only 1 out there in oil only some one down south bought it. Yep sure would like to see and hold an original Hawken!

My apologies to the forum,i'll have to watch that picture thing..

:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Well i started it and i really don't know,i do know there has to be difference and basicly was looking for what made them so popular other than being in a movie like the Quigly Sharps,if i was to buy one i would want to get as close as i could with what i could afford,that being said,i've enjoyed the posts,i really like that one that was for sale,if i had the cash i would have gottin that one.I'll take info and educational opinions any way i can get it..I garnered alot of good info out of these~See i even spelled it wrong :idunno:

Necchi:
You are correct, some people just throw manure on the wall to see if it sticks. :bull: One fellow in particular has a never ending source! :bull:
Who cares what any one shoots as long as he is one of us.
People like Alden need to find the smat folks forum, cause we just are too stupid to understand him.
Nit Wit

No, I don't think you spelled it wrong. I Googled "Hawkin" and, son of a gun, there came back pictures of T/C's, Lymans, CVA's, Traditions, gosh, the whole gamut! And, you know, if it's on the INTERNET it MUST be true. Replicas of Hawkens? No. Replicas of each other (Hawkins), you bet! Just remember, when you shoot 'em they're both spelled F-U-N.

Hey, maybe that's the solution!

We'll insist people use the spelling "H-A-W-K-I-N" when talking about mass-marketed commercial Hawken style guns and...

...when self-proclaimed experts talk about original Hawkens (especially when attacking the group above which they cannot help themselves doing it must be clear to all by now), they have to say "a Hawken" and identify the exact, specific, one they are referring to, if only by picture, because no two were alike so there is no "the Hawken" rifle.

I was watching The Mountain Men movie last night,dang near never got through it pausing it and really lookin over them rifles,see what you guys done! :v :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Chief Moonthunder said:
I was watching The Mountain Men movie last night,dang near never got through it pausing it and really lookin over them rifles,see what you guys done! :v :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
And except for "Paints-His-Shirt-Red"...similar, nearly and huh?! :haha:

Back